Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am looking at a 1970 Boss 302 car that is completly apart. The structure, cowl, frame rails, and torque boxes are in good condition. I will have to replace the floors. The car comes with a load of extra parts. Any idea what the car would be worth?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Does it have the original engine, and transmission? Also, is the 9 inch rear intact?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Depends on a lot more than you've given us. As noted, the correct engine, tranny, and rear are important, as are what options were on the car but need to be reacquired. For instance, putting a power steering set up back togethor costs a chunk, as does putting a missing shaker back on. Basic items like carb, distributor, and rev limiter also will set you back a couple of hndred dollars each. Conversely, if it has the shaker, or other options like a 4.30 rear (aka "Drag Pak"), deluxe interior, tach dash, etc., the value goes up.
Give us more info, and we'll try to help . . .

Carl

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Got to be alot more specific on parts it comes with and condition of car, got to figure if you have to do floors paint and body thats going to run you somewhere around12-15K by the time you get done unless you do it yourself.

A Boss project can easily run much more than purchase over a done car, but if your planning on doing over a number of years and want the thrill of doing it yourself go for it. Just make sure you do complete inventory of parts coming with the car and what you will need to finsih.

Mark

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
very, very good question, and as has been pointed out, a lot more info is needed. Doing a Boss 302 these days is not only a costly venture but a risky one at that. Back in the late 1980s, Boss 302s along with many other high end musclecars were going through the roof price-wise due to speculation buying on the part of non-car guy "investors". As such, when the crash began in the early 1990s, a lot of people who had invested thousands of dollars lost their pants literally overnight....

I got my Boss for FREE from my best friend over 20 years ago. Even so, I quit counting after 30k the amount of MY money I have invested. Not only is the collision/rust factor important where a Boss is concerned, but the COMPLETENESS in terms of correct, Boss-unique pieces is paramount. It is possible you could pick this Boss project up for a bit less than 10k, but find out later that so many pieces are missing, that to complete the project would cost you more than buying a "done" car in the first place. I would personally seek out someone close by or at the least, someone via email that you could provide detailed pics to come up with an accurate assessment of what is "really" there and what isn't. I remember buying a 70 convertible basket case in the 1980s with "lots" of parts, only to find out months later that half the parts didn't even go to the car!!

With the many Boss owners here at the VMF and over at www.boss302.com, you should be able to acurately gauge what is really being represented and come up with a fair offer based on advice given here....

randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts