Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In checking the recent Edelbrock catalog, I notice that they now sell a chrome exhaust tip in a flat oval, which appears from the catalog to have the same look as the factory replacement tips, meaning they are not rolled edge, but otherwise look like the factory shape. (the ford service replacement tips are not rolled edge). The inlet, however, is 2.5 inches since these are for trucks. Also, they appear shorter than the factory. Could these be used for that "correct" appearance. Would be great if so, since nothing out there I have seen seems to match the stock look. I'll check it out, maybe purchase one, and report back, unless someone else here has purchased the Edelbrock chrome exhaust tip for use on their 70 and can report on whether it is a good match.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just looked at their website but no pics available. Are these the 'flat oval tips' #5592/5593? What are the prices?

I was going to maybe use a mopar tip from late 60-early 70 Super Bee. I read somewhere that they are sorta like the ones we need.

Jim K.
70 SCJ (w/o exhaust tips among other things)

G

·
0 Posts
Ken, I'm still on the case. I've got a friend, a former coworker at Year One (he was in R&D), and he's a mopar nut. Anyway, all I need are the specs on our 70 mach tips and he will be able to tell me closest match out there. Do you (or Jim K.) have the spec info (and possibly some pictures?). That would help. I need to finish my exhaust badly! Thanks. Chris

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Jegs has a set of exhaust tips as well that resemble the 1970 Mach1 exhaust tips. I have a 70 Mach1 that I am finishing up as a weekend driver. Its stock except for the dual exhaust I have added to my original 351 W. (Yes the 70 Machs did come with a 351 W if it was built early enough in 1969,I have the build sheet to prove it). Anyway, I 'm going to go with these extensions for the simple fact that I can't bring myself to shell out $500 for tips that will have carbonmonoxide rolling through them on a regular basis. They have pics of the tips on the Jegs web page. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it Megs or Jegs? I checked out some tips at my local speed shop. They were flat ovals, but with a flare. They looked a lot like the Ford tips. The brand name is Megs, which is short for megaphone tips (taken from the flared shape - all of their tips are flared). meanwhile, I am still thinking about the Edelbrock tips, but first want to check with this custom exhaust shop I found. Maybe they can make tips and I can get them chrome plated.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have their catalog, only looked at the one at the local speed shop. Sorry, don't know part number or price. They are the only flat oval exhaust tips listed for a truck. The one I looked at had a 2.5 inch entrance, which matches the size of my exhaust system. good luck. Someone ought to reproduce these, given the great interest and lack of the part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts