Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear Main Seal leaking on my 70 Mach 1 Cleveland, and need to pull the pan to fix it. Before I jump into the job, can anyone tell me if the pan is even removable while the motor is in the car?
Thanks for any help.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Yes you can remove it. The cross brace usually needs to dropped and the steering center section needs to be dropped...sometimes if you are good you can drop the drag arm bracket and it will lower a couple inches to puzzle out the pan.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes

I,F I remember correctly I took mine out by removing the engine mount bolts and lifting it from the top .
Just be careful on how much you lift .
Whatch the radiator , hoses , tunnel , etc,.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Take the idler arm loose from the fender and drop the linkage down. Remove the crossmember. That will give you enough room.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Using the 4 bolt removal makes taking it out and installing it a simple task.
2 bolts on the crossmember and 2 bolts on the idler arm bracket with a bungee cord pulling the steering linkage backwards and the pan drops straight down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oilpan

Thanks for the input guys.
Now I guess it's time to quit thinking about it and get tit done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a question,,,,,,
I have the Cross brace out, and the idle arm loose, do I need to disconnect from the Pitman arm as well, or should I be able to get it out from here?
Mark

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Should drop down enough by unbolting idler arm bracket from the frame rail. I've done it on 70 302 and 70 351 cleveland - and that all I had to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks,
I will give it a go tonight and try to get the rear seal changed out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts