Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thank you all for your inputs. As with others currently, I am looking at converting to discs from drum on my Grabber. I have looked at discbrake swap and some others. I am leaning toward the discbrake swap for the $545. I also have a friend wanting to do the same on his 70 coupe. Has anyone used the discbrake swap and was satisfied with the way it installed and operated. I had a 65 GT with discs, just not power, and it stopped just fine. I had a Boss that could lock em up so I wonder if I actually even need the power assist as long as I go with discs. If I find a good kit that works well, I want to mention it on the Grabber Registry. Please fill me in on your experiences.

Thanks and good luck to all.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lance,
FYI, The newly available SWAP.3 kit is based upon the original 70-73 disc brake design. It is essentially the same as the 68-69 design as well except the the SWAP.3 uses the larger pin 70-73 type spindles. I thought you may wish to consider this option if you would like to maintain an OEM design that will also work with the original wheels.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dag, Thank you. Yes that's exactly what I would like to do. Since I have already gone through that mess about the differences in 69 and 70 centerlinks, tie rod ends, and spindle hole sizes to get my power steering installed and in proper order, I definitely want to go with the 70 type spindles and be able to run my 15" magnums. On their website, I didn't see a "SWAP.3" but I was going to email them and see if they have any literature on their kits that they can mail to me. My friend is also interested in their design. BTW, am I correct that after the spindles are installed, re-alignment of the front end is unnecessary?

All my best.

·
Registered
765 Posts
LanceM said:
First, thank you all for your inputs. As with others currently, I am looking at converting to discs from drum on my Grabber. I have looked at discbrake swap and some others. I am leaning toward the discbrake swap for the $545. I also have a friend wanting to do the same on his 70 coupe. Has anyone used the discbrake swap and was satisfied with the way it installed and operated. I had a 65 GT with discs, just not power, and it stopped just fine. I had a Boss that could lock em up so I wonder if I actually even need the power assist as long as I go with discs. If I find a good kit that works well, I want to mention it on the Grabber Registry. Please fill me in on your experiences.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Lance:

As we've discussed, I live right around the corner and I did the Scarebird conversion. Why don't you stop by and I'll show you the end result before you spend a couple hundred extra?

Dave.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Dave, I had forgotten about that. CAll me or email me at [email protected]. I have to go visit a friend this afternoon and I'll be in the Grabber.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts