Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 69 Sportsroof and am thinking about buying a 70 Cougar as a donor parts car. Anyone know if:

a/ I have an 8" in the 'stang could I swap in the Cougars 9" rear without any problems?

b/ The cougar has a 351, how do I tell if its a windsor or cleveland?

Thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
You should measure spring perch to spring perch and make sure it is the same length as your mustang, but it should be a relatively easy swap. You may have to move the mount. The majority of '70 Cougars came with 351Cs. If the upper radiator hose routes directly into the block, then you are probably looking at a 351C. If it routes into the intake, then you most likely have a 351W.

If possible, please send me the VIN and any remaining door tag data, to submit to the national cougar database.

Thanks.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
There is no probablay or maybes about it.
If the upper hoses turns 90 degrees and goes into the block its a cleveland, if it shoots straight into the intake its a windsor. The only time this would not be the case is if someone built a clevor and that aint something you find in a parts car ;)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
440, if you by that cougar,please let me know,i need alot parts for my wifes 1970 cougar, might help recoupe some of your money ,selling parts to me :0) jace

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
certainly will. if i get it "all" i will take is the motor and rear axle. FYI front end sheet metal is damaged. hoods ok, interior is there but looks like a standard or basic option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts