Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am starting a new build on a '70 Coupe with a 351C and an automatic. It's in pretty rough shape but I am excited to bring it back from the depths! I will start posting pictures as soon as I can. I am excited and nervous about the 351C, I've always wanted one but heard they can be finicky to build. I believe it has 2V heads, it has a 2 bbl carb so I am assuming. I have considered swapping to a 302 or 351W but there is something quite special about a 351C. It has been a long time since I've done work like this on a car so I will be reaching out quite a bit!! Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
351 2V is good engine and can make a very strong street motor. Smaller ports than 4V so it works better at low RPMs where most driving takes place. Never heard that it was finicky to build but at one time it was difficult to get any performance parts for it. Back in the 70s I had one in a 70 Torino. In stock configuration it was a hard charger. There were all kinds of headers and intakes available for the 4V because that was what everybody wanted. Lots of goodies now.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I’ve torn down a few Cleveland motors and they all had two things in common.
1. Bent push rods
2. Severely worn rear main bearing.

If you really want to use your Cleveland, tear it down, clean it up, give it a thorough inspection, then decide where to go next.

Here is a picture of my 70.
Still an empty shell but slowly coming together

Attachments

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
First thing I'd do is bring that car to a frame shop and get it squared. The front took a heck of a hit.

... and yeah, stay with the Cleveland.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm about a year ahead of you on a 70 Mach 1. I tore mine down myself to learn a bit about the engine, but had it rebuilt by a pro (last photo). Taking it from the rebuild to the break in was plenty self congratulations for me. I wanted to do more myself but the machine shop said there were too many balancing issues they needed to do - they didn't want me calling them all the time with problems and questions, haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm about a year ahead of you on a 70 Mach 1. I tore mine down myself to learn a bit about the engine, but had it rebuilt by a pro (last photo). Taking it from the rebuild to the break in was plenty self congratulations for me. I wanted to do more myself but the machine shop said there were too many balancing issues they needed to do - they didn't want me calling them all the time with problems and questions, haha.
View attachment 744877

Very nice!!

View attachment 744878 View attachment 744879

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First thing I'd do is bring that car to a frame shop and get it squared. The front took a heck of a hit.

... and yeah, stay with the Cleveland.
The aprons are pretty banged up but the rails look straight so I'm hoping I can just replace the aprons!

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
The aprons are pretty banged up but the rails look straight so I'm hoping I can just replace the aprons!
The damage at the firewall and rear driver side apron indicates the shock tower got shoved back. That side took a heck of a hit and was clearly not repaired by a pro. The upper cowl is wrinkled and that's about the worst I've ever seen a "repair" of a front apron.

Do yourself a favor and have it squared up on a frame machine.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
wow you have a real time piece there

it doesn't look like the motor was ever opened. still has the engine ID tag under the coil

dont have the correct carb but the 2100 are a dime a dozen and an easy peasey rebuild

keep the C motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow you have a real time piece there

it doesn't look like the motor was ever opened. still has the engine ID tag under the coil

dont have the correct carb but the 2100 are a dime a dozen and an easy peasey rebuild

keep the C motor.
Thank you! Yes, I will keep the Cleveland! I will pull it out, teat it down and get it to a machine shop to have it cleaned and checked!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts