Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

My friend and I are about to re-re-start the restoration of his 70 coupe, 302/4sp, that´s been out of the road since the early´s 80´s. The history on the car is that the previous owner rear ended another car due to brake failure (broke a brake line). They started to do body work and parcially "straighten up" the damage with what was available at the time (we are in Uruguay), so basically they hammered all panels (aprons/fenders/hood/etc) and pull the frames as they could, but they never completed the job (thankfully) and the car sat ever since...

Years ago, mi friend and I started the process, removing engine/transmission, dash, interior, etc, so we can actually see the extent of the damage. We found also that the drivers side frame bends to the point that the master cylinder hits the shock tower, and we found a wrinkle in the floor pan, near the transmission hump (you could not open the ash tray because of this) etc. As always happens, life gets in the way and the proyect was put again on hold, this time in a storage place that prevented us to work in the car.

Some months ago, we started to talk again about the old ´70, so... a plan was made and we decide, as time allows, to start working again in the car. The car is now out of storage and on the workshop.

We made a list of parts, according to our budget, and we purchased:
-Front fenders
-Radiator support
-Full front frame rails
-All 4 aprons
-Front bumper
-Front bumper supports
-Headlight extensions (used)
-Hood latch support (used)
-Hood
-Valance
-Grille support
-Hood hinges
-Export brace
-Crossmember

Yes, at the time we thought about purchasing the full frames including the shock towers an aprons as a full assemblys, but the budged did not allow it... Purchasing parts for this cars and bring them here is really expensive, because shipping/taxes/etc, so sometimes we have to go the hard way to save extra money for more parts or best quality ones...

Currently, we are in the planning phase, as we haven´t yet decided how to tackle the job. We do have the chassis dimensions that are available online, and from that reference we thought about building a jig, but we don´t know what type of jig, etc.

We wanted to debate with you guys/gals what route to take, to tackle the job the right way with the parts we already have, so we are open to suggestions/tips/etc of what would you do in the scenario we are (selling the car is not an option!! haha)

Well, going to post some pics of the car, so you can see the ol coupe in question... so, hope you enjoy them and waiting for your replys!!!

Greetings from Uruguay!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics.. look at the extension we have to add to mock up the valance to the radiator support.. and the wrinckle near the boot area...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,394 Posts
Nice project ahead,.....I’ll be following.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Challenging rebuild. I salute your efforts and determination and will be following.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all!!
Well, I´m going to throw the first stone here!
Last saturday we had a "planning meeting" with my friend Damian at the workshop, looking the patient and interchanging ideas about the jig. We need the car to be mobile in case of need (we are waiting a 66 for reassembly, that is at the bodyshop and we need to share this space of the shop), so the jig must have wheels to be also a "cart". He was thinking more like a cart with a front extension with the "jig function".. I was thinking that is best to have a jig with "stair" shape, so we can use the front and rear chassis suports as references.. and with threaded rods for levelling and removable wheels.. well, at least we have a starting point... what do you think??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A jig would be great if you had a straight chassis to base it off if.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yea, I know... But we thought to use the jig as a reference to know where the chassis would be, if it were straight.. Anyway, as we have to cut all the front of the car, from the firewall forward, we think the best way to rebuild the front of the car is to have a jig with the supports located according to the frame chart, as a reference to place the frames at the right spot and from there, build all the rest from the bottom up... With this scenario we have a couple dilemas.. one is, how to straight the wrinkle at the tunnel? (if there is a better way than heat/hammer, like pull the floor support maybe?) and the other, if we can save the torque boxes in the process of replacing the complete frames, as we don´t know if we have access to all welds that hold the torque boxes to the frame... What do you think?

Thanks for your reply!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Man that floor is really buckled. I'm not sure how readily parts are available in Uruguay but I'd look into a total floor replacement with adding convertible inner rockers to stiffen the car up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man that floor is really buckled. I'm not sure how readily parts are available in Uruguay but I'd look into a total floor replacement with adding convertible inner rockers to stiffen the car up.

Hi!! Thanks for your reply!!! Yeah, a complete floor pan is not an option... it will cost for us, maby 2 1/2 times the money that will cost if we were in the US...
Is really not as bad as it looks, I think without the front clip, we might have a good chance to straighten it the best possible... Come on, I have seen you guys save cars in worst shape than ol coupe!! :wink::wink: How would you tacke the job, with the parts that we have purchased? Put yourself in our shoes!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Anyway, waiting for more feedback!!!

Thanks to all!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
If it were me and I had limited replacement parts I would try to fab up brackets that bolt into both sections of the front and rear subframes in multiple locations and then chain it between two trees and pull nice and slowly and use large hammer and dolly on the wrinkle and maybe even some mild heat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it were me and I had limited replacement parts I would try to fab up brackets that bolt into both sections of the front and rear subframes in multiple locations and then chain it between two trees and pull nice and slowly and use large hammer and dolly on the wrinkle and maybe even some mild heat.
Great!! this straighten up, you think will be better to do before or after removing the front?

Keep suggestons coming!!! :cheers::clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Great!! this straighten up, you think will be better to do before or after removing the front?

Keep suggestons coming!!! :cheers::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Leave the front subframes and aprons. It'll give you something to pull from.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all! just to let you know about this build! The project is coming along! we cut all front and re welded the new pieces (chasis, aprons, radiator support, etc).
Adding a couple pics! One more saved and moving along!!!! Still a work in progress but the worse part is done!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts