Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a speed sensor (piece between two speedo cables) i am just curious what all is now need to install cruise control? will it plug into my original harness or is it just deluxe harnesses? help and pictures are appreciated.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Cruise on a 70?? I have never seen it. They made it?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i have heard of dealer installed cruse control (speed control).... but i can't remember ever seeing one. i just parted out a 70 coupe that had some kind of cruse control on it but no ford part numbers that i could see..... all the wiring seemed to be separate from the rest of the wiring harness

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not sure about '70, but it was available as a factory option in '69. Only about 1500 Mustangs total I think, about 250 or so being fastbacks. Main part under the hood, will be in back corner on passenger side and is vacuum operated. The hardest thing to find is the control which is on the end of the turn signal stalk. I found two for my CJ, one used for $150 and a NOS one for $400, lots of internet searching just to find those. Check old Lincolns for parts several Ford models had "speed control" and some of them are not the same for the Mustang. Might have a line on everything but the turn signal, let me know if you are interested. I know someone who took one of a 68 Shelby and might be willing to part with it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think my car might have had cruise once upon a time because I found that crazy speed sensor in line with my speedo cable when I replaced the cable. There is also some kind of a little plastic electrical box under the driver dash area. I think it is the "module" that controlled the vacuum or whatever powered the cruise control. Wish the PO had left it in... that would be pretty cool to have another creature comfort *G*

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I seen that on . What you bought is a speed sensor all right but not for cruise controll. It's for IMCO improved combustion, a emission piece. What it does is tell a little gray box that has vacuum running in it for the vacumm advance when to kick on and off. The system has your speed sensor, the gray box, a thermal sensor mounted in the door jab?,a air bleed by the carb, two metal tubes that run down the intake to a thermal switch on the water pump and they run the advance/ retard dual vacuum advance. I bet that you wanted the short version didn't you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sidewinder has it right. The 70 351C's had the dual port distributor vacuum advance. It's like someone kicks it in the rear when the advance comes on as you take off slowly.
Other engines may have had the same setup.

Always hated that surging feel.

Bob

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so is 70stroker incorrect? i thought i had heard of cruise control but as many haven't actually seen it. If you do have cruise on your CJ, where are the controls and why does it have to connect to the turn signals???? maybe a picture might help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts