Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, the life of "Nothing is as easy as you think it's going to be." /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

In the last throws of converting my standard door panels to deluxe ones and have some questions as to how some parts of the panel attaches to the door.

I have a panel install fastener kit from AMK and all the othe nuts 'n bolts I thought I might need. I can see where the top half of the panle attaches with clips. The bottom half is a bit more interesting, though. The standard panel goes about 3/4 the way down the door, with the "kick" area being a painted part of the door. The deluxe panel goes all the way to the bottom of the door. The question is, how does the bottom half of the deluxe panel attach? The AMK kit has sheetmetal screws, so I'm thinking I need to drill holes for them. Is this correct? Do the screws go right through the carpet on the panel? How many of them should there be?

Also, the door pull cups are almost self-explanatory. The front part of the cup attaches by screw to a block on the inside of the panel. The cup has a hole in the bottom portion of it, though, that would appear to screw into a bracket that should be attached to the door. The standard panel brackets do not work. Any suggestions on how to attach the bottom of the pull cup? Anyone know where to get the correct bracket?

Thanks!

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Aaron,
If you look in any of the Mustang parts vender books under the interior section they list the brackets that attach to the door to screw the door panel to at the area of the pull cup. as far as the screws across the bottom that I cant hep you wit, sorry.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Aaron, the screws goes threw the carpet. There should be five screws along the bottom evenly spaced apart, about 10 inches between them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my 70 Mach, I have 6 holes(each door) in the bottom of my door sheet metal where small headed screws are used. The screws go through the door panel into the door. They are hard to see if they are buried in the pile on the carpet. I'm not sure if they are the factory screws or not.

The position of my screws are not exact on spacing and placement. They are approx. 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the bottom lip of the door panel. The end ones can be placed about an 3/4 of an inch higher and 1/2 to 3/4 inch inside the panel lip. I am currently not running factory door speakers but the front bottom screw does go just inside the speaker panel cutout area. Don't forget new water shields before re-installing your door panels.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the infomration guys, I appreciate it. I'll have to ding NPD again and see if they have the pull cup braces available for a '70 as I don't see them listed in their catalog.

WRT water shields - Yep, first thing I did after cleaning and greasing all the window and lock mechanisms inside the door.

Goldenboss - Nice car! Thanks for the spacing info on the screws.

Take care,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts