Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rebuilding everything but the brake booster, my brakes aren't hitting until far down in the pedal travel, and then they are real grabby (will lock them up without a problem).
New stainless steel brake lines, neither I nor the local shop find any leaks. Tried swapping out the master cylinder, a bit better but not much. Bench bled the master cylinder both times, but I may still have a bubble trapped.
Feels the same whether vacuum is applied to the booster or not.
Rod was adjusted to just start pressing the MC piston when bolted up.
Any thoughts?

Carl

G

·
0 Posts
Had the same trouble on my 69 G.T Fastback last week. Like to have drove me nuts.Ok,,,sounds like the calipers are reversed,,,if they are stock units on the 70,,,,the bleeder screws should be pointing TOWARDS the torque box,,,,,if they are pointing up,,,they are reversed.Just un-do the hose at the caliper,,,and swap calipers,,,,and bolt it back together. I bet you get a pedal better than it was new.Let me know if that fixed it. ,,

G

·
0 Posts
By the way,,,i forgot to tell you that you will have to bleed them a little more after cracking the hose connection loose from each side,,,but they should bleed up VERY quickly and you should get a great pedal.Just don't let the master cylinder go dry,,,or you will be back at square one.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sh&*. The bleeders are facing up (somewhere along the lines, it made sense to me that they should be up at the highest point.) I just looked in the Ford service manual, and there is a figure showing the bleeders facing aft, and the cutaway view looks like it'll trap a big air pocket the way I have them. Time to get back to work . . .

Thanks,

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts