Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find info on this? I know there are lots of sites for 65-68 repairs bc the "top hat" repair kits work for those. Is there any kinda kit or something I can buy for my 70? If anyone knows of anything or any info or anything I would appreciate it. Thanks.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Chris- Mustang Monthly is doing a resto series on a 70 sportsroof. Just read this morning that they had to canabilize another 70 in order to get a solid cowl. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but...

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, not exactly what I wanted to hear but I think the guy doing the work should be able to repair the existing cowl if he must. I hope this works out bc I dont exactly have a spare 70 fastback lol. Thanks for the info Glen. Anyway, don't kill the messenger right? *G*

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
786 Posts
Chris,

I have a 70 Coupe, and I used fiberglass/epoxy to repair mine. It will never rust as it is now all fiberglassed and worked great! If you want more info - contact me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Where do the 69-70 cowls typically rust???? I guess I haven't seen this problem on this model and am currently restoring one. Is it hidden someplace where I wouldn't even notice without looking hard or would it be obvious?? Thanks for the help!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remove the vent that is in front of the windshield and the behind the hood. It comes out with a couple of small bolts. Then look on the passenger side inside the vent. The "top hat" that you can see and some of the area around it is what was bad on mine. You just want to look all in there and make sure everything is solid. If it is rusting through you are going to have water leaks on the passenger side floorboard. Good Luck.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

1 - 6 of 6 Posts