Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Man, low '70s look so lethal. Great progress so far!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Got some updated photos for you all. Hood is taking much longer than expected....SHOCKER!! All in all things are coming along nicely. Found the hood alignment was best without the hood hinge springs installed so we finished out the filler work without the springs installed and we'll try some different springs or modify the originals once we get to final assembly. No more talkie talkie...time for pictures!!

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
The alignment of the hood and headlight buckets looks really good. I have seen so many cars where the trim does not align well, glad to see you are taking the time to get it all sorted out.

I am restomoding a '70 Mach 1, just years behind you.

Alan

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Very nice work!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks, fellas. Slowly but surely coming along. Can't wait to get passed the filler work though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Got everything blocked out in 180 today. Hood still needs a little work but should be able to get the first round of 2k high build down by the end of the month. Can't wait to be done with filler work!!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Finally got the hood/fender/cowl gaps where we like them!! Going to do one more round of SPI epoxy over the entire car and block it out with 220 and 3M dry guide coat just to be sure we don't need any more filler or glaze work. Then on to the velvety 2k stage!! Very exciting!!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Got some epoxy down last week and starting to block it out in 220 with guide coat. Next will be 1 coat of epoxy on any "break throughs" followed by 2 or 3 coats of 2K. We decided to do the 220 round in epoxy rather than 2k just in case we had any low areas that may need filler rather than glaze. Found one low on the bottom of the passenger door that would require a bit more than glaze work so glad we made the decision to do this round in epoxy.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh yeah, I think my buddy is now leaning towards Guard Mettallic. Here it is on a 2015/16 Mustang. I've seen one in person and the color is sharp!!
Nice color. If you use a satin black for your stripes, I think that would be sharp.

LJ

·
Registered
196 Posts
i liked the grabber blue choice earlier...but maybe i'm just partial...great work, by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Did a little more blocking tonight and a quick spray out of Guardian Metallic. The base is Axalta Cromabase with SPI Universal clear. Messed up on the set up...wrong tip...so the base got some pretty bad orange peel. However, we achieve what we wanted to see. The Guard Metallic is very cool and very "shifty" with light. We used a front valance contour so we could see how the light changes over a contour. I loved the color. Not sure my buddy wants it though. We'll see.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 84 Posts