Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fresh air vents on each side of my 70 leak like a sieve when water gets into the cowl. Removal revealed both gaskets were rotted at the base. The repop gaskets are about half the thickness of the originals and the flange on the plastic vent assembly is warped at each of the five fastener holes. Repop vents are pretty pricey. Has anyone dealt with this? Double up on the gaskets? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My 70 Mach had a DSO of LA and spent its entire life between there and New Mexico. So basically it’s a rust free car..

I am the fourth owner and when I was doing the restoration it puzzled me why the front floorboards (short fronts) were replaced because the car is not rusty. Well before I put the carpeting in I did the hose test on the Cowel and unbeknownst to me I found out why the floorboards rotted out,,, it was because of those vent gaskets,, like youare, mine was leaking there a lot.

NPD is five minutes from my house so I went and bought two of the replacements, they’re a little thin, they don’t lineup great but they work I also use some RTV,, let it sit for a couple days redid the hose test on the Cowel,, no leaks..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Also from the looks of it, those Cowel vents were never taken out.. in addition I forgot to mention where the water was coming through on both driver and passenger side a screw was missing, was never put in from the factory on each of the Vents...

one screw was not put in and it was leaking there...

the hole was drilled just no screw and again like I said it appears that no one has ever tampered with them until I cracked it open.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing your experience 69Mock1. Last week I removed my fenders, hood, cowl, etc and performed the hose test, ASSuming I had the typical cowl leak - only to find it's coming in from the air vents. The main problem with thinner gaskets is that the plastic at each screw hole is deformed in towards the body so when I tighten the fastener the area between two adjacent screws won't sit flush and compress the gasket. I may double up the gaskets vice ordering a couple of repops. Thanks, Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts