Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was standing around my car "dreaming" what it's gonna look like after the restoration and I got to looking at the VIN numbers. My fender apron numbers, on both sides, only consists of a combination of 8 numbers and letters. The last 6 match my production serial number on my windshield but the first two are different.

Can someone shed light on this for me? I did a search of VMF and came up empty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Last 6 will match. First part will be truncated but should be in the vin.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
So the word of the day will be,

trun·cate

/ˈtrəNGˌkāt/
verb
past tense: truncated; past participle: truncated
shorten (something) by cutting off the top or the end.
"a truncated cone shape"
synonyms: shorten, cut, cut short, curtail, dock, prune, trim, lop, abbreviate, telescope; More
CRYSTALLOGRAPHY
replace (an edge or an angle) by a plane, typically so as to make equal angles with the adjacent faces.

Sorry, I had to look it up to be sure :) Glad for the op that this stamping is normal...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Last 6 will match. First part will be truncated but should be in the vin.
Often, but not always. The Metuchen assembly plant used a different scheme for 1970 fender apron stampings. My 1970 Mach 1, for example, has an apron stamp that starts with "1T", and not the "0T" that you'd expect. This topic has been covered on the Boss 302 forum. Here's one example thread:

Metuchen Survey Reprise

I don't recall anyone ever figuring out why the stampings were different or what the differences mean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Often, but not always. The Metuchen assembly plant used a different scheme for 1970 fender apron stampings. My 1970 Mach 1, for example, has an apron stamp that starts with "1T", and not the "0T" that you'd expect. This topic has been covered on the Boss 302 forum. Here's one example thread:

Metuchen Survey Reprise

I don't recall anyone ever figuring out why the stampings were different or what the differences mean.
This is exactly what mine has stamped on the aprons.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

Metuchen Survey Reprise

Yep I forgot to mention the crazy guys on the line in Metuchen plant screwing up vins. A well documented fact! Either line worker was drunk or memo was mis-read lol.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
i guess it varied by plant

i seen 70s with the full vin and others short vins like ours

my San Jose car is like this with strange stars on each end and only on the drivers side

*0R112981*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts