Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to install a set of Scott Drake mouldings on the fender extension. These mouldings are so far off that it is impossible to make them fit. They don't fit the opening and are total garbage. I contacted my supplier, who has been excellent all along and he advises that he will replace them but advised that i probably won't be happy with the replacements as they look terrible as well. Says he has had a ton of complaints about them.

This is an original headlight bucket extension so it's not like I'm fighting to get two aftermarket pieces to work together.

Has anyone on the forum run into this? I'm assuming that there is only one or two factories in Taiwan punching these out.

It amazes and floors me as to why, in this day of cnc mills and computers etc that a NOS moulding can't be copied to fit better than these replacements. And..they're not cheap to purchase!

It's not like these need a little bend here and a tweak there....they just don't fit. Frustrating to say the least.

Maybe someone on the forum may have a decent used set i can purchase from them or can point me in the direction of a different supplier of decent parts but these Scott Drake copies just aren't cutting it.

Maybe Rick from NPD can chime in and enlighten me as to why these can't be purchased from a better supplier. Or...maybe he isn't experiencing any issues with the ones from his supplier.

Any and all feedback appreciated....thanks...John

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Scott Drake.....Nuf Said

·
Vendor
4,068 Posts
Trying to install a set of Scott Drake mouldings on the fender extension. These mouldings are so far off that it is impossible to make them fit. They don't fit the opening and are total garbage. I contacted my supplier, who has been excellent all along and he advises that he will replace them but advised that i probably won't be happy with the replacements as they look terrible as well. Says he has had a ton of complaints about them.

This is an original headlight bucket extension so it's not like I'm fighting to get two aftermarket pieces to work together.

Has anyone on the forum run into this? I'm assuming that there is only one or two factories in Taiwan punching these out.

It amazes and floors me as to why, in this day of cnc mills and computers etc that a NOS moulding can't be copied to fit better than these replacements. And..they're not cheap to purchase!

It's not like these need a little bend here and a tweak there....they just don't fit. Frustrating to say the least.

Maybe someone on the forum may have a decent used set i can purchase from them or can point me in the direction of a different supplier of decent parts but these Scott Drake copies just aren't cutting it.

Maybe Rick from NPD can chime in and enlighten me as to why these can't be purchased from a better supplier. Or...maybe he isn't experiencing any issues with the ones from his supplier.

Any and all feedback appreciated....thanks...John
I believe that there is only one manufacturer in Taiwan reproducing this specific pair of moldings. So it's not so much a Scott Drake thing, as it is a "is what it is" thing.

But just to be certain, do you have your original packaging from Drake, and were the moldings inside a clear plastic bag with a label that looked like this?

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
FWIW, I ordered fender extensions from NPD for my 1970 Mach 1. While they don't look exactly like the factory extensions, they do fit and they look OK. My factory extensions were so shot there was no saving them. It looked as if they had been media blasted. (Multiple indicators strongly suggest my Mustang went through many dust storms down in southern New Mexico where it spent most of its life.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts