Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching, I'm not finding what I need so here goes.

My ignition cylinder is no longer turning with the key and I realize it needs to turn to try and swap it out. I know you have to remove the steering wheel to get to it and push in a pin which will release it. Is there a trick to get a non moving cylinder out? Hopefully the collective brain power of this forum can help. ;)

Walt

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,636 Posts
If you google "1970 mustang ignition lock cylinder removal" you will get a number of returns including some from this forum. Given your key is not functioning in the lock cylinder, I am not sure if a locksmith will be part of your solution.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
If the key no longer works, the next best solution is to drill the cylinder out. Done carefully, you can get the pins to fall out and be able to rotate the cylinder with a screwdriver for removal.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Before you start drilling I'd try every other 67 and up Ford key you can get your hands on. There are only so many combos on the keys so with some wiggling and bumping and a few different keys you might just get lucky and find a combo that works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts