Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys down the street are scraping a 70ish cougar with a 460 in it. Is anything on it a useful donor for either my 66 coupe or a 67 fb.it has disc brakes up front. I wanted check before the cat goes to the crusher.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kinda of trouble would I be looking for trying to change over the disc brakes is a direct swap? What would I need off of it?

I will check with these guys they are running a ad on craigslist I guess for junk cars and getting a few piled up.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If the cougar is a '70, the center console may work in your '67, if you like the custom look. I saw a 67-68 with one and it was very nice, it also had the '67 Shelby style gauge pod under the radio which tied it all together.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not familiar with the cougars but looking on the net I believe it is around a 74, its a big car and it is real rough. I stopped to see what engine it had in it since the hood was up. I will have another look at it tomorrow if it is still there. These boys plan on getting quite a few cars and scraping them quick so they aren't laying around in the yard

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It probably has a 9" rear end, and if it's a '73, it will be 54" wide. Good luck, with your find?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
trialsguy said:
What kinda of trouble would I be looking for trying to change over the disc brakes is a direct swap? What would I need off of it?
Grab the spindles, the rotors, calipers (and their brackets), and the combo dist. valve. You could grab the flex lines, but I'd recommend just replacing them with new ones.

Just saw where you now think it's a '74 ... not sure if the '74 brakes will work or not.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, Orginally I thought that 70 was the next body change. I can say now for sure that its not a 1st gen cougar, I think its a 74ish. I will look at it better tomorrow. That sucker is setting on the ground now, no tires, I think the guys already pulled them off getting ready for the crusher, Hopefully it will warm up to at least 20 degrees tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If it's a '74 or later (which makes sense if the 460 is original to the car) then nothing on the car is a direct fit for your 'stang. This generation Cougar shared its chassis with the larger T-Bird/LTD line. The '71-'73 Cougar could easily have a 460 swapped in using factory '71 429 parts to look like an original engine (but they were never a factory option before '74), and the '71-'73 years would be good for the disk brakes. The rear end would bolt in but would be 1" wider per side. Little else would be worth the effort of pulling it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts