Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my Thermostat in my 70 Mach 1, and was wondering if I should go back with a 180 or a 192?
Can someone tell me what temp was factory, and what would be the best to replace it with?
Mark

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cleveland uses a specific thermostat, not the same as the Windsor motors, no matter what the parts guy says. Factory was 192 but most everyone runs a 180.

Clevelands have a "hat" that closes off the hole in the block just below the thermostat.

Robert Shaw Cleveland thermostat is #333-180 for the 180° and #333-192 for the 192°

Stant has 2 part numbers..I believe they're 29468 29469, which are 180 and 195 degree

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you
I have read alot of people don't like the Stant for the Cleveland, something about it being made from 1 metal instead of 2.
Has anyone here heard of this?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Good info. Also for proper warm-up by pass on a 351C need to be sure your waterpump has the bypass port.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
351C thermostat,

Don't run one that looks like this even though they say it fits a 351C,

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I always used a 192. currenty using NPD #8574-4

which ever you use make sure you put it in the right direction.
one side will be marked "RAD"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert Shaw

Can anyone tell me where I can order the Robertshaw Thermostat?
Here in Huntsville Alabama, we only have Autozone, Advance, NAPA and Orileys.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yup good article. Shows that you can use a cheapie thermostat on a 351C but must be the right cheapie thermostat. On that same site is some good illustrative info on Robert Shaw balanced themostats:

Robert Shaw stat picture - Clevelands Forever!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts