Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help identifying parts that may be missing from my 351C rear suspension. My invoice sheet lists my car a having the Competition Suspension option. My car seems to be missing a few key rear parts. (#'s are from the assembly manual)
I have the following:
1/2 " rear sway bar
Spring bolt plate, non stagger ( P/N 5799)
Sway bar to spring attachment plate plate (P/N 5A775)

The following parts I think I am missing:
3 spacers above rear spring P/N 4137, 5736, 5723
1 spacer below rear spring P/N 5732

I purchased new rear springs from NPD (Eaton) for a 70 Mach 1 351 with competition suspension. What made me investigate was that my ride height seemed way too high. 9.5 '' from axle tube to jounce bumper stop. I should be only 3.66'. I do not have any load on the car. Missing powertrain, interior, rear glass, Etc.. 200 lbs in the rear seat area (me) only drops it 1/4 to 1/ 2".

Did I get incorrect spring or am I missing these spacers to set my ride height correctly.
Any recommendations on where to pick up these parts (Used or Repo)

Thanks

Mark Memmer
70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 351C 4V Completed by 8/01
98 Cobra Convertible
93 5.0 Mustang LX (Winter Ride)
00 Volvo S80 (Wifes Ride)

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I put a competition suspension on my 70 - 302. It came with a 8 inch and now I have a 9-inch. I have a rear sway bar which mounts to a sway bar plate which sets under the shock plate. The sway bar connects to that with end links. I have staggered shocks. I have NO spacers above or below the shock/sway bar plates. I modeled this after the staggered shock rear in a boss 302. The ride height is just fine. I have new leaf springs (4 leafs) purchased from Detroit Eaton spring, which I had re-arched 1/4 inch. Like you, I have my car gutted inside, so there is no rear weight. I could measure the distance in clearance to the rubber bumper on the rear frame rail, if you wish. I am unaware of any spacers being used in the stock set-up. I think your springs are just to high. You can take them to any good spring shop and get them re-arched for not much money, if that is really your problem. good luck.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with 70sportsroof , not sure what you mean by spacer above the spring. The axle sits directly on the spring itself. The only spacers are below the spring , one for shock mount and the other for the rear sway bar. I thought that all mach's have competition suspension ? When I put my suspension in my car looked 4 wheel drive without drivetrain. Once I dropped the motor and trans in it it settled quite a bit. As far as 3.6 inches of travel , do you mean from the top of the axle tube to the rubber bumper in the top of the wheel arch ? Seems that would only give you 3.6 inches of suspension travel , this seems low to me , maybe I am missing something. 9 inches of suspension travel seems a little more friendly. I wish I could measure the travel for you but my rear end has been dropped out to fit the exhaust , it's been 8 weeks and I still can't seem to get exhaust that fits :( . If your car had plates between the springs and axle tubes someone probably had lowered your car at some point , perhaps this is what you are talking about ?

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

G

·
0 Posts
Ahh.... Just looked at the assembly manual. I see what you're talking about. I didn't even notice these before. These are lowering blocks , and I have never seen them on a car before. If they did this to the rear , what did they do to the front ? Anyone seen these on a car before ?

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marc-- I am measuring like the assembly manual shows, from the top of the axle tube to the point where the rubber axle snubber/bumper attaches to the frame. The design ride height comes from a table on that page (pg 37 in Osborn chassis manual) On page 34 they show a measurement of 4.82 for the rear and 5.88 for the front. I have never seen the blocks they show in the assembly manual on a mustang either, but have never really looked for them. I hope you are right about the settling.

Mark Memmer
70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 351C 4V Completed by 8/01
98 Cobra Convertible
93 5.0 Mustang LX (Winter Ride)
00 Volvo S80 (Wifes Ride)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts