Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the molding that attaches to the bottom of the drivers door supposed to have holes drilled out?
I recently bought the car. It was painted but either holes in door were filled in or they replaced the door (can’t recall).
Anyway it’s the only molding not on the car and I want to install it but not sure how.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok where can I order a replacement for it? I called a repro place and they don’t have the black cladding. Mine is missing clips on the back too

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
To be clear, you're missing the 1970 Mach 1 aluminum panel which attaches to the driver side door; am I correct? If so...

Yes, there are holes which should be in the door for that piece of the aluminum Mach 1 moulding. The only part of the 1970 Mach 1 moulding reproduced is the chrome strips across the top. None of the fasteners or clips are reproduced either. I have seen them on eBay, but only as complete sets for very high prices.

I happen to have an extra door moulding, but I'm pretty sure it's for the passenger side and it has a dent in it (could proably be repaired). If you're interested, I'll dig it out and check.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you but it’s my drivers side. I have the original piece but hardware isn’t on it. The seller gave me two tubs of stuff for it so I’ll see if they’re in there tomorrow

·
Registered
35,319 Posts
The ribbed mach1 panels had cast-on studs to attach to the doors. When these break, it's common practice to drill them out and bolt them.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
The ribbed mach1 panels had cast-on studs to attach to the doors. When these break, it's common practice to drill them out and bolt them.
As a polite correction, the panels which attach to the fender and the quarter panel have these studs. And, yeah, some of mine were broken and I had to drill, tap and thread in studs. The panels which attach to the doors have a track in which spring clips with studs are inserted. You can slide these spring clips within the track to match the holes in the door.

As an aside, the bottom panels that attach to the rockers fit into clips riveted to the rocker on top. Screws attach themn at the bottom. Yeah, those aluminum panels on the 70 Mach 1 are a major annoyance to work with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts