Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has a picture or dimensions of the original exhaust tips? There are a few dealers selling them, but I wondering if they are just a basic tip that is close to the original.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i bought my repos from cj pony parts, the only difference i can tell is that the originals didnt have rolled edges, they look pretty damn close, until you get close to them and happen to know what the NOS look like.....a hell of a lot cheaper then NOS too

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- I'll take a look.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The original factory exhaust tips for dual exhaust were oval with rolled tips. The Ford service replacement exhaust tips were oval WITHOUT the rolled ends. That is why I was able to purchase, in the sealed Ford box, a set of reputed NOS 1970 exhuast tips for $350 and they did not have rolled ends, but were marked service replacement on the Ford labels, with a post 1970 manufacturing date on the label. If I recall correctly, the tips were flat cut and not cut at a slant. The service replacement tips came as about a 27 inch length of combination exhaust tubing and chrome tip. I returned the service replacement parts and installed some oval, slightly slanted Dodge tips for way way way less money.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Heres a pic of my tips.
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/938553/3967892/65138467.jpg

They are NOS Ford service replacement tips. They are not rolled edge, but the originals Mach 1 tips where. Except for the edge they look the same. Heres a set on Ebay:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487932045&category=34203

They sell for around this price unless you are patient and get lucky. I gave $225 for my set on Ebay. The original rolled edge ones are very rare and bring close to $1000 on Ebay. The ones you ask about at CJ's, NPD and others are OK quality for the price but, I bought a set and they dont really look much like the originals. Its all how much you want to pay.

JBauer4363

1 - 5 of 5 Posts