Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my car last year one of the few things that was done (or mostly done) was brakes. I thought it was good to go but during disassembly realized the stabilizer brackets were missing. I ordered the kit and but can't figure where these clips go. The service manual is misleading and shows them in the main view but not in the Mustang break-out illustration.

Do these clips go on the 70 OEM calipers?

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Picture

Hello, wish I had a better picture of mine. You can see the clip holding pressing down on the rear brake pad. The caliper has a tiny hole, by the bolt, that the clip goes into. There's one on each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've spent months wondering where they go.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are referring to the pins and clips that hold the outboard brake pad. According to the drawing, these clips go in the inboard side and are held in place by the two slider pin bolts.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
When I bought my car last year one of the few things that was done (or mostly done) was brakes. I thought it was good to go but during disassembly realized the stabilizer brackets were missing. I ordered the kit and but can't figure where these clips go. The service manual is misleading and shows them in the main view but not in the Mustang break-out illustration.

Do these clips go on the 70 OEM calipers?
Yes, those Anti Rattle Clips are correct for all 68-73 Mustang, all 68-71 Fairlane Torino.

They mount on the caliper mounting bracket, not on the calipers.

Look at the back side of the C looking bracket you bolt the caliper in/on.

At the top of both each side, you will see two hole, one threaded, other not stacked on atop of other.

The Anti Rattle clip has a hole, then a little piece of metal that sticks out, a tit so to speak.

The Tit goes in the non threaded hole, the threaded hole accepts a 1/4" bolt.

Yes, it will need to be Loaded (Push down, putting spring pressure on the pads.

Hope this helps!!

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it, those Ford guys could have done a better job of illustrating that in the manual. Thanks for the responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And one other question on these - I noticed the two mount bolts have holes drilled in the heads for safety wire. Did these caliper bolts have a tendancy to work loose? Both have lock washers under the head. Do you safety wire yours?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts