Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought all 4-v engines[70] w/ a 4spd got offset rear shocks?does it make a diffrence if it has a/c?
I remember reading in some ford publcation about not haveing offset rear shocks with a/c
in the same book it said you couldint get trac-lok with a/c either
does any one know the real deal??
Dave

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
the only 70 Mustangs to receive the staggered shock setup were the Boss Mustangs and the 428 CJs equipped with the 4-speed. Even the automatic 428s didn't get the staggered shock setup....

randy

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I agree. The staggered shocks came with the Boss 302/Boss429 and as part of a package - the competition suspension. This included the infamously expensive oil cooler, as well. I have seen a 70 convertible adn a 70 shelby both with staggered shock rear. I installed staggered shocks on my 70 using a rear aupper mounting bracket that someone fabricated out of heavy angle iron type stock to reproduce the flimsy factory piece. I was able to cut the upper shock mount to fit between the frame rails and weld it there. This helped stiffen the rear. The factory piece just kind of laid over the trunk. I also go tthe shock plates that mount under the leaf springs from a 428 sourced vehicle. Went with heavy duty 1966 or so fairlane rear u bolts with the shock plates. Turned out nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,thanx everyone,I was starting to wig out about my mach[3514V,4spd,a/c] not having offset shocks
Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No ,I dont think a/c has anything to do with staggerd shocks,but i didint know
why cant you get trak-loc with a/c?
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts