Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 70 Mach 1 with a 351C 4V. When I drive the car for about 10 minutes or more, then cut it off. I then try to restart it and the starter drags slowly, then starts right up most of the time. From what I remember on these cars, the headers heat up the starter and it drags. Does anyone have any more information / recommendations on my dragging starter or should I buy a Hi-Output starter? Thanks, Lee ::

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Maybe you should try frabricating a heat shield before going a more expensive and possibly unnecessary route.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i used one of those aluminized fabric wraps from summit racing on my starter with headers and it worked like a charm

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a simalar problem on my 1972 cleveland with headers they tend to heat up I believe this is called heat soak a heat shield will help if the starter is not past its time if you do replace the starter use a shield

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If it's a amp draw question then looking into how easy the engine turns with a wrench or see if the starter windings are giving out. If it's not a draw question and conection or cable may be going bad.
My 1970 351C 4v had the same problem and it ended up being the starter windings were going. The starter was only 29 1/2 years old when this took place. The new replacement turns the car over easy, even when hot. Yes,I kept the original starter.
Too much timing can also try to keep the car from turning over. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You are right - the starter is "heat soaking".

I have solved this problem three different ways:

(1) Back off on the initial timing. As 4V Clevelands LOVE lots of initial timing this is probably not the solution for you.

(2) Take the starter to a rebuilding shop and have it rebuilt. They can usually add windings to it and make it more powerful.

(3) Get a Hi-torque mini starter. I have one on the 4V Cleveland in my 73 vert. Solved the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The starter turns over fine when its cold. Went it starts getting warm, it drags. That's why I think the heat from the headers is causing the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts