Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to paint the stripe on my trunk lid but I can't find the dimention for the width of the stripes and the space for the mach 1 emblem. Is there a site that has this info or someone that can give it it me. Thanks Dennis

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since you're painting instead of decal stripes, it's not going to be concours so here's some pointers that will be extremely close to orginal. The large stripe is the same width as your 'Mach 1' trunk letters. The outer stripe is approx 1/4 inch, with 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch gap from the wider stripe.

G

·
I just went out and measured mine. The space for the Mach 1 letters on the wide stripe is 9 1/4 inches.

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/14/6C/15534100-d463-02000180-B.jpg

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Here is the foolproof method. Order the rear decal from Graphic Express. When it arrives, cut around the edges so that you can use the decal as a template. Tape it in place.

Next, use 3M blue striping tape, 1/8 inch, to outline around the decal. The tape stretches so you can run it around corners and curves. In places (if any) in which the painted stripe is a uniform width, you can lay a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch piece of striping tape right next to the 1/8 inch piece, then outline the other side of that tape with another 1/8th inch piece, then pull up the 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch tape you used. Leaves a nice uniform width. Next, take the blue 3M painters masking tape and overlap the outside edge of the 1/8 inch striping tape. Over the masking tape, tape your masking paper (not newspaper - the paint bleeds through). This is the technicque I used to put C stripes down the side of my 70 and more striping across the the trunk. Painted on the stripes and they came out perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts