Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am traveling to Kansas this Sat 4/28, to purchase a 70 Mach 1 that is supposed to be totally rust free and is all original. My question is where should I look for rust other then the obvious places? Is there certain areas that were susceptible to rust during that year. Any help is greatly appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, a few good places to look - on the frame rail under the battery tray. Around the radiator support (especially on the batter tray side). On the front/rear door edges, and below the doors where the mach-specific rocker trim sits. Make sure it is securely attached and not rigged in place - could be a bad sign. In the cowl area (you can always open the glove box, and if there isn't a box liner, can see the RH cowl bottom - many times this is quite rusted). On the rear fuel tank support (right above the rear valance). Also, shine a light (when in the trunk - oh yes, under the bottom trunk lip) in the opening in the top of the rear quarters (it's almost a tunnel on each side). One thing people never consider is how suspension/driveline parts pit over the years - check the sway bars and rear end for pitting. Of course, you'll need to check the floor pans and undercarriage. Good luck and remember, '70s are VERY expensive to do. So the less rust, the better!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Also make sure you take a magnet to check the quarter panels. The wheel lips and the bottom panel behind the tire are good for rust (and bondo). The torque boxes are rust targets, inside lip of the trunk lid, lower corners of the rear window opening (water accumulation).

Actually, the only part the probably couldn't be suspect would be the roof...

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
May may want to check the driver's side door to the top hinge where it bolts to the A-Pillar. I've seen several nice cars rusted out there. Not very fun to fix.

"If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no one can !"

69 Mustang SportRoof
69 Firebird Convertible
59 Olds Super 88

·
Registered
660 Posts
They rust at the torque boxes...mainly the drivers side. Beneath the door rocker molding. Bottom of door (do to clogged drain holes). Outer wheel wells,where they meet the quarters. The quarters rot between the wheel well and the tail light pan (water collects between qtr and drop off). Oh and check the rear window pinch welds. The bottom 90 degree corners of the rear window. A rust "trench" forms from the window to the trunk opening. Its nothing a MIG welder and some 19 gauge can't cure. Good Luck....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts