Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and can't come up with anything. I know that the chrome portions on this bezel are a tough and expensive restoration, so many of them appear yellowed from age (like mine). I remember reading that some have resorted to painting these rings. Can anyone share their experiences in trying to improve the looks of their bezel?

Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You can send it out and have it vacuum plated, there are a few companies out there that specialize in the bezels.

I took mine apart and painted it.
Before

I started by scuffing everything with a scotch brite then cleaned and primed.

Then I coated it in silver

Taped off the parts that were to stay silver

Painted it black

Carefully peeled the tape and assembled.

I'm sure it would've looked better sending it out to be chromed but it looks a heck of alot better than it did before and I did it myself for about $10 bucks.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I painted mine my self like RyanG85. I used the reflective paint from eastwood because it was the shiniest paint that I knew of. I think it turned out pretty good, someone would have to be looking really close to notice that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello,

I used Krylon Silver spray paint, and hand buffed for a soft chrome look, when redoing mine on a 69 dash.

Heres a link that has some info on it, along with pictures of the finished item Link

Marc Cramer

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you do not want to spend lots of $$$$ Go to a craft store (Michaels Crafts) and purchase a silver leafing marker. It is just like a magic marker with a wide felt tip and it is silver. The tip slides easily along the raised edges giving a crisp line.

I have used this in the past to do touch ups, as well as a complete gauge trim ring. Slightly less shine, but unless you look very close, you cant tell it is not chrome and it only cost $10

1 - 7 of 7 Posts