Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must be my week to churn up the weird stuff. Was junking Saturday chasing parts for the 69 when I came across a Mustang under a tarp. Lifted the cover and found a '70 Mach 1 which was pretty well gone over, and not much was left. However, the car is exceptionally straight sheet metal wise. Will need a small patch in the drivers pan, that's it. No drivetrain, bolt on sheetmetal, etc. Only caveat is this: He has the title for the car, it matches the VIN on the fender apron but the VIN plate on the dash is gone (two hole for the rivets there, plate is MIA). Any idea if this is legal, or can it be registered? I don't need another car but for 300 bucks and a 98% rust free shell it's hard to pass up......

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, can't speak for IN but here in AZ the car could be registered. Contact your local DMV and ask about your situation.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I believe that as long as there is a door tag, it would be legal. I'd wonder WHY it's missing. The tag is pretty much inaccessable to just come off on it's own IMO. Are you sure there isn't a plastic dash pad cover over it? (some plastic covers you dont notice right off).

BTW...for $300.00...buy now and ask later. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't even hazard a guess as to why it's missing, but the entire dash is out of the car and MIA along with the gauge and clock pod. I can only assume MAYBE it was removed when the dash was taken out, but have no clue and neither does the current owner.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
IIRC, the vin would be on one of the shock towers and IIRC on the buck tag.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buck tag isn't readily visible, my 69 was mounted on the rh edge of the core support, no where obvious on this car, not the top of the aprons or firewall....., apron VIN is all I see......

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
If you have any connections with DMV or your local PD they can run the VIN for you. That way you can see if it is currently being used on another vehicle. If it is not currently registered on another vehicle I don't think you will have any problem registering it later. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No way man. The sticker on the door means nothing. It even says "not for title or registration" right on it. The VIN stamping on the fender aprons shouldn't help either. But I take it in that some states don't really care as long as the a VIN of some sort is on the shell. Value wise no VIN no sale.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
In Texas you have to have the dash tag. And as of right now NOBODY is restamping dash tags. Marti used to do it but right now he is not because of some legal/liability things. He may be able to resume making them in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts