Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
You need to remove the door panels and the lower part of the backseat to get to the lower bolts on the interior side panels, unless your hands & arms are small enough to enter through the plastic grill on the door jam after removing the screw. you have several small speed type nuts holding the trim pieces on in these locations. on the lower long piece below the door, The upper part of the panel hooks over a metal strip attached to the body while the bottom of that panel is held on with phillips head screws. On the front fenders there are Two different styles the early style requires you to remove a couple of letters on each side to expose screws under them and have a speed type nut just inside the front fender wheel well opening . the laterstyle if i rember has the wheel well nut and exposed screws. If you have access to media blasting, that would be the way to go for saving time. I wire wheeled mine and it took almost two days to remove everything. Primer grey paint them then finish them with Dark Argent, a dark metallic grey like Ford used to match the front grille and honeycomb rear panel as well as the lower dash panel. a close match is the duplicolor dark metallic grey wheel spray which is very durable. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that was a great, easy to follow description. Looks like I have some repairs to make on my panels, PO used some "extra" screws to hold things together.

How do you remove the bright metal trim along the top of the panels?

Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
577 Posts
Re: 70 Mach 1 rocker molding

Drew,
To remove the shiny trim from the top edge, you have to drill out the "pop rivets" that hold the mounting clips in place. You can then separate the top trim from the Mach 1 pieces. The clips slide out of the shiny trim pieces fairly easily. Be careful not to loose any of these clips. They aren't reproduced. Also, the repro trim pieces that are available, don't come with clips. To remount, just slide the clips till they line up with the slotted holes on the Mach 1 trim pieces, and install new "pop rivets." Hope this helps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
A great resource for this sort of question is the Osborn Manuals. They have exploded views of almost all assemblies. The pictures are scans of the ford assembly drawings. Not the best quality but the can be very enlightening.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 70MachI

Yep, used the Osborn Manuals and the advice here and got everything taken apart. Tomorrow it all goes to get blasted, weekend project to get it painted, polished and put back on the car. Nice car Vince!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts