Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking at an original Mach I that the PO had painted but did not reinstall any of the rocker trim panels. He did not put on the cast pieces, the Mach I letters or the bright trim that goes above the cast pieces, nothing! Filled the holes with something, not sure what. He says he has all the parts. Questions: What should I look for when inventorying the parts? How hard will it be to put back on? Have no clue what is involved, not sure how to even line up parts for the holes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hellcat: the Mach 1 moldings on my 1970 are held in place by simple flat-headed screws. Although they have never been off the car, it would seem to me that there would be nothing difficult in removing them or re-installing them. If your friend does indeed have all the pieces, you could line them up against the sheet metal, mark where the holes should be, drill a few of the holes just to hold the pieces in place, and then just go around drilling the next hole in sequence as you mount the molding pieces.

I cannot remember from memory exactly how many pieces comprise the molding, but I can look at home for you tonight !

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
the should be 8 pieces,4 on each side,1st is the wide one that goes on the front fender and says mach1,2ndgoes on the bottom of doors and has a trim piece n top,3rd is a piece that goes on the rocker from the back of the front wheel to the front of the back wheel, the last piece goes abover the rocker piece on the quarter panel infront of the back wheel,this piece should also have molding ontop of it.....there also should be 2 long strips,or hangers(one for each side) that rivit to the the rockers that the rockers piece hangs on, hope this helps a little..... i can get you a pic of mine if you want just let me know jace

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
here a few pics i took, the red lines are where the separate pieces are.....jace

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/3C/3B/21976636-3e21-028001E0-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/3D/3B/21976637-2b25-028001E0-.jpg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jace and Jnorkus. Pictures helped, understand the pieces I would be checking. Can anyone describe the process for the actual mounting? Keep in mind this would be like putting them on a car that never had them since all the holes are now covered. Concerned about getting them properly lined up. Might be able to spot the original holes from the inside if they used bondo to cover them up but not sure.

Drew

·
Registered
791 Posts
The mounting depends on if you have the early setup with detachable letters or the late setup with cast in place letters. I have the early setup. The front pieces have 2 letters you remove and find screws under them. There is also some cast in pins which get pal-nuts near the wheel well. The long bottom piece hangs on a riveted rail on the rocker and screws at the bottom under the rocker. The door piece has 4 or 5 clips with threaded studs and one on each end that all get nuts from inside the door. The small rear piece has 2 cast in place pins which receive pal-nuts as well. You can remove the jamb vent to access these.
Sorry this is long but if you need pics I can help with that also. Just send message to my email in my profile.
Rick Allen/Oceanside, CA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts