Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Closing in on completion of a 70 Mach 1 resto. My rocker trim was reusable after redo but now I cannot find the hardware kit to remount it. Every part supplier says it is nowhere to be found.What are others doing to complete a correct restoration?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry, very nice looking. Mine is also Grabber blue, but will be less the slats,chin and a shaker(?). I have tried NPD but they told me their last stock went out in Nov of 2014, with none available to restock. Scott Drake told me these items are no longer being manufactured. This could be a problem for anyone else in current restoration.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I ran into the same issue several months ago. I had bought a set of just the door pieces and, lucky for me, those has the original fasteners. I needed only one door piece.

However, when I ordered a fastener kit for the new rear honeycomb panel, I noticed those looked a LOT like the rocker panel fasteners. As I recall, those fasteners weren't very expensive. You might try them to see if they will work for you.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Guys , how do the moldings get fastened to the side of the car.My 70 mach did not have the moldings re-installed when it was restored in the 90's and am wondering what I would have to do to reinsall a set since i know where i can get some.
Thanks Terry

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Guys , how do the moldings get fastened to the side of the car.My 70 mach did not have the moldings re-installed when it was restored in the 90's and am wondering what I would have to do to reinsall a set since i know where i can get some.
Thanks Terry
The challenge will be the piece which attaches to the rocker. From the factory, there was a clip running the full length of the rocker riveted on. I've never seen a reproduction of these clips nor have I seen them on eBay. However, it doesn't mean you can't find them. Likely, it will take some patience and persistence.

The door pieces had studs attached to spring clips which slid into a slot running the length of the aluminum panel. The studs simply fit into holes in the doors and attached with nuts.

The fender and quarter pieces had studs cast into the panels. These often break off as was the case with mine. I had to drill and tap those pieces for studs.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The challenge will be the piece which attaches to the rocker. From the factory, there was a clip running the full length of the rocker riveted on. I've never seen a reproduction of these clips nor have I seen them on eBay. However, it doesn't mean you can't find them. Likely, it will take some patience and persistence.

The door pieces had studs attached to spring clips which slid into a slot running the length of the aluminum panel. The studs simply fit into holes in the doors and attached with nuts.

The fender and quarter pieces had studs cast into the panels. These often break off as was the case with mine. I had to drill and tap those pieces for studs.
thanks , I will give it some though and am not in a rush to alter the paint and body just yet

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The purist may flame me but I even thought of a noce flat black decal that says MACH 1 on the fender and continues down the door but low .If i don't like it, I take it off..

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
thanks , I will give it some though and am not in a rush to alter the paint and body just yet
I can understand that. You'll have to drill a LOT of holes through that nice paint to install the rocker panels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts