Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a photo of their mechanical clutch linkage in a 70 mustang? I am converting mine from a C4 to a 4 speed and am having trouble getting the clutch rod to connect from the clutch pedal to the Z bar. I cut an 1 5/8" hole in the firewall were the factory stamped dimple was located but the pedal, rod and Z bar are not lining up. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here is several pics of my linkage on my '70. One of the top view and one underneath. Sorry, I don't have a pic of underneath the dash. I have put rod ends on my linkage so yours will look slightly different. If the hole is correct it should line up. Is it possible that you have the wrong brake pedal (manual vs. power brake)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cruzzar,

Your's looks great, a lot nicer than mine. Thanks for the photos. I attached a couple of photos. I believe I have the correct brake pedal for manual brakes. Your Z bar looks much different than the one I ordered for a 302. Is yours for a larger engine? I'm wondering if the Z bar is incorrect or if the hole location is off a little. If possible, could you take a look at the photos and let me know what you think?

Clutch Linkage 002.jpg

Clutch Linkage 003.JPG

Clutch Linkage 008.JPG

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks much like my 70 (351c) and my rod is very close to the inside edge of the hole like yours.
I put a slight bend in my rod at the firewall so that it would engage the z bar. With the boot over it, it really does not show at all.
In your case, it looks like that may be the easiest thing short of adding and extension to your z bar which everyone would be able to see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can also adjust on the male ball ends for the z bar cant you?
Adjust the block mount face of the block and slide the frame mount more to the left side of the car. That way you will slide the entire z bar to the left a little and maybe you will be able to engage your pedal rod.
Good luck!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have added some reinforcements to my z-bar but the physical shape is stock. Mine is for a windsor block. Is it possible that your z-bar is for a Cleveland? I'm not sure what the difference is, if any.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I spent some time here looking for that very issue and even posted a question about the differences between a 351w and 351c z bar. Never got an answer or much help. All vendors sell a z bar for a 351w and I was advised by several that the 351w and 351c were the same.
Put the new 351w z bar in mine and it fit well. I did put a little bend in the rod from the clutch to the z bar (1/4" or so) but it works great. The original owner had installed a z bar from a 302 and needless to say the clutch linkage was pretty bad.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If the z-bar bracket adjustment cant get you close enough how about bending the z-bar upper arm outward a bit? Or oval the firewall hole a little...? I wouldnt bend the rod...seems weak already.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help! I was able to get them lined up. I enlarged the hole in the firewall a little and losened the engine side Z bar mounting nut to force the Z bar closer to the frame and more in line with the clutch rod. I then reversed the clutch rod and problem solved.

Now I've run into another issue. I have bypassed the old neutral safety switch by connecting the wires together. I needed to change out my starter from the auto to the manual and since I was having issues with heat soak from my headers, I upgraded to the PowerMaster 9504. However, I believe it has a built in solenoid. If thats the case I have the original style solenoid installed plus the one on the starter. I followed the directions included with the starter but when I turn the key to start the engine, the starter engages with the key in "run" not when its turned the all the way to actually start the engine. Also, I am not getting any spark. Has anyone installed this starter before? Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like you have wrong wire going to the starter solenoid. You might (just a guess)have the ignition wire hooked up to the solenoid instead of the starter wire or 12v is being backfeed to the new starter from the old solenoid if it is still hooked up. ???????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts