Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking closer at the LH lower rear quarter panel I made an ugly discovery today. Apparently a shoddy repair was done by a previous owner. There was a fair amount of damage and looks like an outer panel was pop riveted in place and covered with filler. So many others have made similar discoveries, so why I was surprised?
Anyway, rather than dig into the mess, I am thinking of buying a patch panel in order to do a better repair. So I started looking at sources and found a boat load, CJPP, NPD, Autokrafter, Classic Industries, Summit Racing and more.
The two primary brands that are listed are from Spectra Premium and Scott Drake. Since NPD usually carries the best repop panels and they sell the Spectra Premium, it would suggest that the Spectra Premium would be the better panel?
I need to do some detective work further up the quarter as well. There is a whole line of bondo worms poking through the panel from the wheel well to the door opening. So there is a chance that maybe just replacing the whole quarter would be the better approach.
And I thought all I was going to do was weld in the new tail light panel and be done with the sheet metal work, but no such luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used the Spectra quarter patch panel on a 66 (and fender patch on a GM) before; the bends and edges (like wheel opening, bottom of the aft) were not sharp like original panel. Last time I replaced rear of the quarter of a 70 coupe, did not want to gamble with Spectra patch panel and I bought a quarter skin and cut the patch from it. Edges/bends on the skins (or full quarters) are sharper and required less work to make it look like originals.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The paint and filler have been striped from both quarter panels now. The LH quarter is FUBAR, hit and repaired what looks like several times. So many holes, dents, and creases that it is a lost cause. I had a semi-retired body and paint guy come by todays and evaluate both quarter panels. While the RH quarter is repairable, it still needs more work to get it straight enough for minimum filler. The body guy estimates between 4 to 8 hours to straighten @$50 per hour. So $200 to $400 to fix which seems like more than it is worth.
Full face quarter repair panels (skins) run between $100 to $125 each plus truck freight. Seems like it would be a better route to just replace both quarter panels skins. In replacing both, the panels should look the same. If I try to mix a repaired original with a repop skin on the other side, I am afraid there will be a noticeable difference.
Last, the quarter panels skins are available from CJPP, NPD, Classic Industries, Holly (Scott Drake), and Summit Racing. No specs are provided as to thickness of the metal, so it is difficult to pick a source by anything other than price. Anyone have recent experience with replacement quarter panel skins who had a good outcome?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case new panels are the way to go even though the rust was minimal. hourly rates are quite high in good shops and you get a new panel With no previous work.

View attachment 842322
View attachment 842323
Agreed on it seems new metal will be cheaper and better in the long run.
Who did you source the skins for your car from and how long ago did you buy them? I am looking to purchase skins for both quarters early next week. I have a few suppliers to call as well just to determine who manufactured the panels and final price with truck freight.
Fortunately, I am in AZ and most vendors have warehouses in CA.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Agreed on it seems new metal will be cheaper and better in the long run.
Who did you source the skins for your car from and how long ago did you buy them? I am looking to purchase skins for both quarters early next week. I have a few suppliers to call as well just to determine who manufactured the panels and final price with truck freight.
Fortunately, I am in AZ and most vendors have warehouses in CA.
I don’t know the supplier as the Resto shop bought them, the fitment was excellent they said. they did order from Calgary Alberta Canada so my guess is “The Mustang Shop” who I have used many times.

Mustang Shop

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t know the supplier as the Resto shop bought them, the fitment was excellent they said. they did order from Calgary Alberta Canada so my guess is “The Mustang Shop” who I have used many times.

Mustang Shop
I found these skins on their website. Two comments in the webpage are heavy weight and a note about the flange at the trunk area. Of all the sources looked at, these are the most expensive. Not an issue if they are the best available. Someone else to call on Monday to try to sort out the best part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts