Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '70 fastback recently and the the VIN on the title reads something to the effect of: 0T02Fxxxxx which matches the VIN rivited to the dash. What's interesting is that the hidden VIN under the fender on both sides of the car reads 1T02Fxxxxx. The car is definately a '70 model. All the other numbers match except for the first digit. Has anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
35,893 Posts
Yep, it's commonly called a mis-stamp. Prob'ly the guy stamping was hung over and dialed the wrong number.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
He wasn't drunk.
The Metuchen plant in '70 used the leading digit on the apron stampings to signal something, but it hasn't been figured out exactly what yet. Different cars, in different time periods, received a 0, a 1, a 3, or a 4. Not just Bosses and Machs, either. Coupes, Machs, Bosses, whatever, all received the same digit in the same time period. Late in the production run the lead digit was moved to the buck tag, probably when someone realized that using the lead digit was a violation of the Federal stamping regs. There are a lot of '70 Metuchen Mustangs out there with this style stamping.
Be careful with registering the car. Uninformed DMV types have been known to do a lot of damage, arguing that the VINs have been tampered with. One Boss that went from Georgia to California had all its VINs ground out. The CHP accused the owner of having the front clip from a stolen '74 Pinto on it (it had a 4T apron stamping, and Pinto's were what Metuchen made in '74.)
I have a database of the '70 Metuchen mis-stamps. If you could send me at least your buck date and build date, and VIN if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to add your car to the database. [email protected]. And yes, my Boss has 4T stamped aprons.

Some light reading to make you more comfortable:
Metuchen Buck Tag

Carl

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Wow, very nice info CH

OP: most DMV's reckognize the dash vin as the "official" number so when you go title the car dont even mention anything about it.

FWIW mine dont even have a Tower stampng and I know its the orginal sheet metal

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Its worth worrying about, Ford skipped the "script F" before and after the dash plate for a while in '69-'70, including the period where Metuchen did its stamping oddity. Inspectors take that as a sign of an altered dash tag (wrong, but . . .), and then seek to confirm with the apron vin stampings, which have the 1T, 2T, 3T, or 4T, which they then decide doesn't match. The assumption then becomes that the car is a franken-mustang, with parts from multiple cars, and decide to grind out the original VINs and assign a state VIN, at best. Its safer to put the issue out front, that way, if they have a problem with it, they will at least give a chance to verify the oddity before grinding out the VINs.

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts