Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Po removed them to do a headliner. He didn’t finish the headliner and then misplaced the shoulder pieces. He’s still looking but I’m not holding my breath.

If I’m replacing for a 70 Mach 1, are any others interchangeable?

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
I would think any of the front belts are interchangeable oh, and you might be able to get some from a Cougar or Fairlane Etc

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
70-71 will bolt right in. maybe even 72
but why bother when you can have the 3 point conversion installed with the same amount of work.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way I can afford a high level like that. I just wanted it to look right plus protect my kid driving it.
With only one lap belt I’m puzzled how the shoulder belt even attaches. The console doesn’t have a spot for belts to lock in as storage either like I’ve seen.
My old camaro had two belts on the floor with one connecting the waist, one shoulder.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
dude it $65 a side. simple 15 minute bolt in. no special tools or welding required in a 70. just an allen key.
you want safety and to protect your kid this is the way to go

they stock belt will snap his neck or back in a hard hit

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
No way I can afford a high level like that. I just wanted it to look right plus protect my kid driving it.
With only one lap belt I’m puzzled how the shoulder belt even attaches. The console doesn’t have a spot for belts to lock in as storage either like I’ve seen.
My old camaro had two belts on the floor with one connecting the waist, one shoulder.
On the 1970 Mustangs, the shoulder belts are bolted to the roof area on one end. When not in use, they fold and attach to a hook forward of the bolt. The belt has an elastic strap to loop over the hook. (This elastic strap is always completely shot in my experience.) Oh, and this doesn't apply to the 1970 convertible. I have no idea how those belts work.

On any 1970 Mustang you see, the shoulder belts will be in the stowed position or completely missing. I've never seen anyone use the shoulder belts. I tried and it was an exercise in futility. If the belt is snug enough to actually restrain a person, it's nearly impossilbe to actually drive the car let alone reach anything like the heater or radio controls. If you loosen the belt enough to drive comfortably, it's useless as a restraining device.

Thanks for the link on the retractible belts. I need to get those for my Mach 1.

·
Registered
1970 Mach 1 R Code 2008 Shelby GT500
11 Posts
There are many options available across a range of costs - sharing my experience.

After much research for 3 point retractable front seat belts for my driver condition 1970 Mach 1, I purchased the Morris Classic Product which includes all required hardware. I wanted a modern safety upgrade with original "like" appearance (understand not OEM) - I'm happy with the results and glad to support a small business.

Also referenced here -- Installing three-point seatbelts in your 1968-1972 Mustang

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
dude it $65 a side. simple 15 minute bolt in. no special tools or welding required in a 70. just an allen key.
you want safety and to protect your kid this is the way to go

That's where I bought the set for my '71. $150 for the pair since I opted for the starburst buckle, took about 45 days to get as I ordered them at the height of the shutdown. Hardware was available for $4.95, but I have a full set of factory hardware already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts