Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a tilt column from a 70 Cougar on eBay. It needs a new turn signal switch and some of the wiring is bad. Can anyone tell me how to disassemble the u-joint? There are other issues inside the column and I need to tear it down to be able to fix it properly and I don't want to damage the u-joint.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I haven't done this in a while, but I don't believe you disassemble the u-joint, but rather leave it joined, and separate the halves of the upper column. Its a bear to get back together, because of the return spring pressure, but its how its done.
There was a Mustang Monthly article on this that I used when I did mine, I'll try to find it this evening for you.

Carl

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
OK, the issue I used is the March 1999 issue of Mustang Monthly, which has an article titled "How to: Detail a '70-'73 Tilt Column." Let me know if you can't find it.
As far as dis-assembly, the upper column can be unscrewed from the "upper flange" once you have pulled the switch assembly. You need to pull the ignition switch and switch gear first. The upper flange can be disconnected from the lower flange by pulling the two pins out which connect the upper flange to the lower flange (this is where the tilt spring comes into play.) With the pins out, the flanges can be seperated, and the upper and lower shaft and u-joint can be pulled from the lower shaft.
I got the assembly back together by compressing the tilt spring in a bench vise, then holding it compressed with some wire. Once assembled, reach in and cut the wire, and pull it out.

Carl

·
Registered
540 Posts
Search for Fastmerc at the Boss302.com site. He rebuilds them. I have not used his services, but others have posted positive reviews. I took one of my '70 tilt columns apart, boy it sucks to put them back together. It is possible to do, just takes lots of patience.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I forgot that I had asked about this but I did figure out how to get it apart and back together. Only pinched myself once and skinned two knuckles in the process. Man when that thing slipped and caught the loose skin between my thumb and forefinger I almost screamed! It hurts just thinking about it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts