Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Does anyone out there have any experience using the 69 Linclon Continental front disc brake setup on their cars. Supposedly this was used on the T/A cars in 69 and 70. The rotors are 11.96" and the calipers are 4-piston Kesley Hayes. Cobra Automotive sells a version of this, however they use a two piece rotor/hat and I would prefer to keep the look of a factory rotor if possible. I know this setup requires the heavier spindles, but I'm already running those with the stock front disc setup and was kinda hoping that I might be able to get away withjust a simple rotor and caliper change.
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
The link S281SC posted is good info.....
If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask, I have the TA front brakes on both of my cars (open track car and street car).
Although not really an inexpensive setup (I put
together a setup 2 yrs ago & it was $1200), it'll
leave your teeth in the dashboard, even with organic pads.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I initially was headed this route with my 65 and started collecting parts I was able to find everything but the caliper bracket at a decent price. The only source I could find was Cobra Automotive at $350 or somewhere around there. I ended up going with the Mustang Steve 2005 mustang setup at a much more reasonable price. Cant use 15in wheels with that though.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just learned that ABS power brakes now sells aluminum versions of the big KH calipers. The price is 389 bucks for the pair, IIRC.

I have a setup (with iron calipers) myself, but haven't installed it yet: the building of a garage and a daughter came in the way :)

I'm using Mustang disc brake hubs with Raybestos 6008 rotors (original application: 1968 Full size Ford). That combination is similar to the normal two piece setup.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Helmantel said:
I just learned that ABS power brakes now sells aluminum versions of the big KH calipers. The price is 389 bucks for the pair, IIRC.
Wow, that is really cool. This would be a huge weight savings. The originals are very heavy.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Thanks for the info on the big KH calipers in ALUMINUM. Wish I was employed right now! I need a
pair of those for my GT.

Here's the link-
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/pages/FINAL122.htm

They're at the top of the page on the right.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Helmantel said:

I have a setup (with iron calipers) myself, but haven't installed it yet: the building of a garage and a daughter came in the way :)

I'm using Mustang disc brake hubs with Raybestos 6008 rotors (original application: 1968 Full size Ford). That combination is similar to the normal two piece setup.
So when you say two piece set up are you talking about seperate hubs and rotors? Sorry if I am post jacking but just trying to figure out a way to put the larger brakes on while on a budget. Just like everyone else I guess.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
14charli said:
So when you say two piece set up are you talking about seperate hubs and rotors? Sorry if I am post jacking but just trying to figure out a way to put the larger brakes on while on a budget. Just like everyone else I guess.
Yes, it's a separate hub and rotor, just like all 60's Ford disc brake setups. I believe there's also a one piece early 70's Thunderbird rotor that fits. You may be able to find it on www.rockauto.com. Someone mentioned it in a discussion on stangnet.com.

Another option is using Wilwood hats and rotors (about $75 each for the hats and $50 each for the rotors). Not really low budget of course, but light.

Those aluminum calipers are tempting. At 389 bucks, their price is actually quite reasonable (compared to other calipers), but quite a bit of money nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just got an email from ABS Power brakes. They weight 7 pounds. I weighted an iron one and it's 12.5 pounds (without pads). A nice reduction, although when compared to the total unsprung weight (probably 80-90 pounds), it's not that spectacular.

The price was $225 (the pricelist on their website says ~$190).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well even at 450 for the pair it is actually still a pretty good deal for huge aluminium calipers. Thanks for clearing up the rotor thing. Now what I'm trying to figure out is a way to use the big Lincoln calipers and find a hub that remains on the car while you swap rotors out. Just like newer cars use as well as aftermarket. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
ABS Power Brakes sells a Aluminum version of the big lincoln calipers?
I read that ad as replacements for teh 65/66 mustang K-H calipers, not the big lincoln calipers.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I assume "BIG BRAKE" refers to the larger Lincoln calipers. It also mentions they use D1-size pads, which is what the larger Trans-Am calipers use.

I'm glad this thread was brought up; I've been eyeing Cobra Automotive's T/A kit for awhile, but the aluminum versions look like a worthwhile upgrade at a fairly reasonable price.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
I see what you're looking at......go to the upper right of that catalog page. See the spacing on the mounting ears- those are the big K/H calipers.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Some more/larger pictures of the caliper can be found in the beginning of their catalog, where they show some Chevy applications which also use these calipers.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Just stopped by ABS this week to look at the
big lincoln calipers in aluminum. They are an
accurate copy, so much so that they would pretty
much bolt-in for their original application.
Folks doing the big brake conversion for their
Mustangs will still need to drill out the mounting
ears on the calipers, spot face the ears and may
have to spot face the outer ridge on the calipers
for wheel clearance. They are super light and
feature stainless pistons and liners. Titanium
bridge bolts would be a nice value-added but I
think they come supplied with grade 8's. Caliper
material is cast aluminum, NOT forged. They're
pricey at $450/pair but definitely are trick.
I'd be a little antsy about cast aluminum as
far as the mounting ears are concerned but someone
with a background in strength of materials or
a desire to do failure analysis after completing
a destructive test might ease those fears!
Supposedly they've had no issues thus far. These
aluminum calipers are backordered 60 days right
now......

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey,
Great info on the aluminum versions of the big calipers as well as info provided by all. Sorry for the delayed response, but work has been ultra crazy over the last few weeks...given the options, I guess I shouldn't complain, though. Gonna start accumulating parts on this project soon and will photo document as I go along.
Thanks again to all.
Fred

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Has anyone ever tried these calipers yet on the big brake setup?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post,but I'm looking at doing this big brake set up on my 68 coupe.
Question,will it work with 68drum spindle that are on my mistang,and does anybody have a parts list and a source for the caliper bracket?
Thank you
Phil

1 - 20 of 27 Posts