Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,323 Posts
I know this is an old post,but I'm looking at doing this big brake set up on my 68 coupe.
Question,will it work with 68drum spindle that are on my mistang,and does anybody have a parts list and a source for the caliper bracket?
Thank you
Phil

I was looking into this swap. I got a good deal on a complete set of disc brake spindles off a mid 60's Tbird or Lincoln where all the parts were very low mileage. The Tbird and Lincolns with these 4 piston calipers used a 12"x1.25" rotor. Either 67 or 68 Ford switched to a single piston caliper and slightly smaller rotor. The basic of the TA brakes on Mustangs uses the earlier 4 piston caliper with the later smaller rotor. On disc brakes, Ford used a hub with the rotor pressed on the back side on all models. You will need Mustang disc brake hubs. You press the Tbird single caliper rotors on. The 4 piston calipers I believe need some machine done to them I believe the mounting holes need to be drilled out and spot faced. Brackets..... They are non stock parts. They are custom made for this application and they are not cheap.

Street or Track has a couple kits. One uses aluminum aftermarket 4 piston and the other reproduction factory cast iron calipers both kits use a aftermarket 12"x1.25" rotors that use aluminum hats and their own brackets. You can buy the caliper brackets separately. I don't know if their bracket is specifically for their rotor assembly, whether it would work for the Mustang disc hub with either calipers?

In the end it may just be cheaper and easier to buy a complete package such as a Street or Track. Their aluminum caliper package actually weighs less then a stock Mustang disc brake set up. This will reduce unsprung weight. On any of these brake systems, you use any drum brake spindle. The 70 and later spindles are stronger.

In the end I decided to keep my 72 disc brakes on my 66. I may upgrade pads and call it a day

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
To Tom's point, I pieced together the brakes after some extensive searching. Long story short, I had right at the same amount of money in the brakes as what it would cost to just buy Shaun's (SorT) kit and he has already done the machine work on the calibers (and yes you have to machine the calibers because they bolt up on the reverse side).

If you want them, just bite the bullet, you'll be in at around the same price and time ahead.

Allen

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Somewhere on "The Track" section here I have a writeup on how I did that swpa on my '69. I used a bracket froma guy on the boss 302 forum with a wilwood hat and rotor. I think I had maybe $750 in the whole thing. Getting good calipers for a deal is the trick.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Shaun‘s kits are among the best.
Either way the big calipers and 12 x 1.25” rotor is good enough for any track day as long as you do the cooling ducts.....
i have had Granada disks before and the big Lincoln setup is way better.
Before I had to think about braking in traffic. The big Lincoln setup makes it where I just drive the car without thinking about extra stopping distances compared to my GTI with the Golf R brakes....
if I upgrade beyond this setup, SoT makes an attractive 6 piston 14” rotor kit....

21 - 27 of 27 Posts