Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the strut rod bushings along with the entire front end of my 72. The strut rod bushings I got in the kit seem to be one piece deals, with a steel band in the middle. The ones I took out were two piece units that sandwiched either side of the cross member.
Did I get the wrong ones, or is this a different design? If this is the new style, what holds them in place? Do I have to press them into the crossmember somehow? If anyone can lend some advice on this I would appreciate it.
There are pictures on Yahoo Photos @ http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/glider902003/detail?.dir=64d0&.dnm=856a.jpg&.src=ph

Thanks,
~Jim

·
Registered
695 Posts
They come apart. Look's like the same one I used.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bloodybill/dcp_1743crop.jpg

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Try pulling the rubber bushings aparts, I'm sure they were just stuck together for shipping.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I put that exact design on mine. They come apart. The metal sleeve inside is what is holding them together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, umm pretty dumb question on my part. You guys were right; they popped apart, no problem. The metal band had me confused. I think the excitement of actually putting parts BACK on the car after three years of work just had me somewhat delusional.

It has been an on and off project since November 2002. I found a little rust when I pulled the engine. Dug into that and found more rust, got discouraged and quit for a few months, got that fixed, found more rust, spent the next three months looking for a donor shock tower to replace the corner of mine that was paper thin.

It has been a fun process. Side projects which detracted from the budget (of time and money) included installing a gas heater in the garage, wiring the garage for 220, getting a compressor, a mig welder, and learning to weld with a mig.

Anyway back to the strut rod bushings. They are from American Pony, and part of the Midolyne rebuild kit they sell. They feel like a decent durometer rubber, but after all the research I have now done on the subject, it seems I should go to NAPA and buy a set of Moog rubber ones rather than install the Midolynes?
~jim

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
DO NOT USE THE MIDOLYNE STRUT BUSHINGS!!!!

I bought the entire "Midolyne" front end kit from American Pony for my 73 convertible. When I installed the strut rod bushings I noticed that they seemed a little too stiff. Withing 50 miles I felt a "pop" when I put on the brakes. One bushing had torn in two and one of the pieces had fallen out. The other bushing was also torn.

The same thing happened with the Midolyne stabilizer bar end link bushings. It's like they don't have enough "give" to them and they tear when distorted.

I replaced all of the above with Moog rubber bushings. They were a much better design and they are rubber. No problems with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts