Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a dumb question. I am having a new top put on my 73 convertible and the chrome trim (around well) was off already when I bought the car. I have repainted and I was wondering can/should I put the chrome trim on before I take it to the shop for a new top? I don't see how I could get to those nuts once the new top was in place....or is this something I should expect them to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
It's possible to get to the fasteners with the top down, but I'd get that together first, if possible.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Just a recomendation. Unless you're having the top done at a place like Glazer Nolan, that you 100% trust those stainless hockey sticks are gold! If those babies are damaged lotsa luck finding new ones!

I put the hockey sticks on after I put the top on (didn't trust myself). I did pre fit them to assure the fit because I had one of the quarter panels replaced.

Slim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust?? What's that? This is the 15th Mustang that I have restored and the first time I have hired work out. I am scared to death new paint too! May not be perfect but I like to do everything myself.

I know those are gold and they are nearly perfect. I think I will get them ready but wait until I get the car back to install. One other thing. There was a bunch of that windshield and body black sealer on the back side of trim and all over the place. Being a white top I would rather not use much if any...any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Steve, you're referring to the so called hockey sticks that trim the well for the top right?
There shouldn't be any black goop under those. They're just held on with T nuts right?

Last time I trusted someone to do a vert top was years ago on my 56 Ford Sunliner.
The 56 had a wide stainless molding across the top front. I talked to the guy at the trim shop. I asked if I should take that molding off. It was near perfect and basically unavailible. He assured me when you pick up your car you won't be able to tell that molding has been touched. I picked up the car and could see from 50 feet away it looked like that molding had been "installed" with 5# rubber mallets!

They looked up the retail price at the Ford parts counter and refunded that to me. Found a half decent used molding for what they refunded, would have paid for a better or NOS but never found.

Slim

·
Registered
537 Posts
Trust?? What's that? This is the 15th Mustang that I have restored and the first time I have hired work out. I am scared to death new paint too! May not be perfect but I like to do everything myself.

I know those are gold and they are nearly perfect. I think I will get them ready but wait until I get the car back to install. One other thing. There was a bunch of that windshield and body black sealer on the back side of trim and all over the place. Being a white top I would rather not use much if any...any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve
I think I would install them, they use a foam gasket at each stud, I made my own from a strip of 3/4 by 1/4 thick foam gasket material that had adhesive on one side, with the special wide and skinny nuts.
There is a side to side adjsutment on the tops frame arm near the cylinder or main mounting area that if not adjsuted right will tear the top from rubbing against the molding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts