Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help locating the outer beltline felt weatherstrip for '71 - '73 Grande models. Most parts catalogs sell the beltline weatherstrip for coupes as a kit. I have found that this kit is not correct for the Grande, at least for the outer stripping. First, the outer strip on my original has a chrome strip along the top of the door, just like the inner strip. Second, the weatherstrip on my car does not have a single contact point with the glass. However, I have like 3 or 4 contact points. The picture below shows at least three contact points: one at the top, one at the screw line, and one in between. The felt continues down inside the door below the window guide slot.

http://home.comcast.net/~coreyr111/Outer_Felt.JPG

The kit I picked up only has the top contact point. Only one catalog so far has made reference to a Grande set of felt. I believe it was NPD, and the reference was "NOT for Grande". Does anyone know where I can locate a new set of beltline weatherstrip for the Grande cars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mid, I'll give them a shot!

PS - hope your recovery is going well!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it was worth a shot, but Restoration Specialties couldn't help me out with anything they have in stock. They did offer to copy/manufacture some for me... for a price. It's an option. Thanks for the referral!

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
If you do have them make you a piece, remind them that there is a need in our hobby, and that several vendors would be more than happy to re-sell their material.

I found them at Carlisle in 1999. Amazing stuff they have in their catalog!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like they have something for just about everything - that is, except early '70's Mustangs! No luck at FoMoCo.com either. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks, guys, for the ideas so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts