Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Mach1 with the center gauges. I also have the idiot gauge in the dash. Pretty much the warning lights for the brakes, alt, temp, etc. I took the center gauges out and noticed they are not hooked up and no pig tail to plug them in. I know that its possible some goof put the center gauges in throughout the cars life but was unable to hook them up. My question is, did ford release the 71-73 Mach's with center gauges and an idiot gauge. Becasue i know of a 72 Mach that has the identical setup as me. And that car had been sitting in the woods since the early 80's. So whats the dealio???

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have a 73 Mach1 with the center gauges. I also have the idiot gauge in the dash. Pretty much the warning lights for the brakes, alt, temp, etc. I took the center gauges out and noticed they are not hooked up and no pig tail to plug them in. I know that its possible some goof put the center gauges in throughout the cars life but was unable to hook them up. My question is, did ford release the 71-73 Mach's with center gauges and an idiot gauge. Becasue i know of a 72 Mach that has the identical setup as me. And that car had been sitting in the woods since the early 80's. So whats the dealio???
Yes, I believe it was called the "Sports Interior Option". Triple gauge pod, no tach.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok then that raises another question. If thats the case that means that thier are 3 types of under dash harnesses right?

One with Tach and Center Gauges
One W/o Tach with Center Gauges
One w/o tach and w/o center gauges

If i have the idiot gauge and the center gauges, why cant i find the pigtail under the dash for the center gauges

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
"I know that its possible some goof put the center gauges in throughout the cars life but was unable to hook them up."

If you don't know the history of the car and the gauge harness isn't there, this explanation is the most likely answer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
"I know that its possible some goof put the center gauges in throughout the cars life but was unable to hook them up."

If you don't know the history of the car and the gauge harness isn't there, this explanation is the most likely answer.
+1. Took a different harness under hood and under dash as compared to the standard gauges. Probably a PO that gave up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts