Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the 71-73 Guru's....Will a 73 Grill fit on a 71 or 72? Im told that most everything is interchangable. I have a 72, and I was going to buy a 73 grill, will it work?
Thanks,
Jim L

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I know a Weber won't fit on any 71-73's, nor do the new Thermo's models. I've tried a Smokey Joe but it interfered with the closing of the hood.
Actually, for real, I believe 73's are different than 71-72's. Also remember there's standard grille's and Mach 1 grilles. I hope my confusing answer helps.
Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I just found a good deal on a 73Grill. I was hoping it would work because I cant find anyone who sells 71-72 grills.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had a '73 Mach 1 with a broken grill. I put one from a '72 in it. The grille will fit, but, there was a problem with the trim piece for the front bumper....
This was some time back, so don't remember exactly what it was. Seems like the trim piece was shorter on the '72, but, not sure......
So, yes the grille will fit, and , no , the trim is not quite right.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In addition to the previous posts, the trim around the headlights is different as well, Not too sure about the bumper thing though. There are 71 & 72 grills out there (not cheap though) but they're not repro-ed. I've read it's because the original machining is broke and not worth fixing, I would beg to differ though. I think the repros would sell enough to recoupe the cost of fixing the machining, considering a nice used or NOS grill for these years easily pull $400.00 or more!

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts