Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Bumper Office equipment Musical instrument accessory Hardwood
Can anyone tell me how the knob comes off the blower switch lever. I got then switch off with only one screw, easy ! But the chrome knob won't come off , even with a strong pull. Is there some kind of trick to get this knob off? 馃槪

Registered
Clamp a small pair of straight-jaw vise grips to the flat shaft, about 1/4-inch away from the knob. Slide some needle nose pliers (the bent jaw ones work best) between the knob and vise grips and using the vise grips as a fulcrum, pull the needle nose against the knob and push it off. When it moves a bit, switch sides if needed and work it off alternately.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clamp a small pair of straight-jaw vise grips to the flat shaft, about 1/4-inch away from the knob. Slide some needle nose pliers (the bent jaw ones work best) between the knob and vise grips and using the vise grips as a fulcrum, pull the needle nose against the knob and push it off. When it moves a bit, switch sides if needed and work it off alternately.
I see ! We have to be rough on my little lady, I shall break out my VICE grips. It's not my Only vice馃槑THANKS

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sucker still won't budge. I am starting to damage the chrome finish , so i stopped .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy. I found a SAFE way to remove chrome knob without damage to the finish. You must drill out the crap around the shaft. There is some kind of a HARD GLUE that needs to be carefully drilled out and then the shaft will come out. I cut the shaft off . No problem because the new heater switch comes with new shaft. Place the knob in a VICE. I used a leather belt placed around the knob to protect finish from VICE. Then drill around the shaft with tiny drill bits . I used a little oil to go easy on drill bits. I broke 2 bits before I used oil . I have shown som
Wood Hardwood Gas Machine Power tool
Wood Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
e photos. Hope this post helps someone 馃榿

Attachments

Registered
Why not heat up the shaft a little.
Can use a 30 watt soldering iron
Should be enough to break the bond.

When I had my 71 they'd pop off with every pot hole. Ended up gluing them on.
I bet at some point that's what a PO did

Reactions: [email protected]

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not heat up the shaft a little.
Can use a 30 watt soldering iron
Should be enough to break the bond.

When I had my 71 they'd pop off with every pot hole. Ended up gluing them on.
I bet at some point that's what a PO did
Yea, the last owner was crazy, the insides of this car looked like Cheech and CHONG decor. The GLUE was thick and very strong. It seemed like soft lead. I noticed all 3 knobs are the same type GLUE. Last night on EBAY I purchased a very good used heater control with nice knobs about $50 with shipping, It will be interesting to see if we have the same type of GLUE on this ebay unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts