Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried one of the new reproduction pop open gas caps for the '71 - '73 cars yet? Looks very promising, but $150 is still out of my price bracket to "experiment". Wondering about quality, finish, fit, etc.
Any info appreciated.
TIA, Clint

·
Registered
758 Posts
I recently ordered one for my '68, got a '69 by mistake, traded it for the correct one. What none of the catalogs tell you is that the pop-open caps apparently aren't considered safe... They have big insert tags that say they are only for show use, and include a little twist-on cap to seal the filler with.

I have no idea if this is because the pop-opens never did seal well, or if the repros are somehow faulty, or if it's a bogus emissions/venting issue. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
mustangs unlimited has that warning in very fine print in their catalog. i believe the cap is considered unsafe because of the fact that a rear end collision would cause the cap to open and allow fuel to easily exit the fuel tank.

Joe

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The cpas are unsafe due to the fact that in a collision they can easily pop open casuing a fuel spill.
Our company was going to be the ones reproducing them and we would have had to make them with a twist off cap hidden under the pop open cap.
We didn't go ahead with the project because of lack of interest and we had heard another company was going to be reproducing them also which looks to be the case.
Haven;t seen these in person yet but ours was going to have the same finish and color which wouldn't have been a problme so I'm sure these are pretty close also.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. I like the look of the popoffs, so I'll put up with either the safety issue or (most of the time) with the twisty underneath.

Part of the problem is that my filler pipe is fairly mangled on the cap threads, and despite much banging and tinkering over the years, the twist-on cap always sat crooked. I've had trouble finding a correctly fitting replacement filler at a reasonable price (as I've mentioned elsewhere, mine seems to be an oddball part and I only see matching ones occasionally.) Having the under-cap at any angle will be just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do I understand this correctly: the safety issue is addressed by using the small, twist on cap under the pop-up cap? The kits I've seen for the '71 - '73 cars include both a press cap, and a small twist on cap. I use this car as a driver, so I don't want something I cannot use on the street.

·
Registered
758 Posts
So do I understand this correctly: the safety issue is addressed by using the small, twist on cap under the pop-up cap? The kits I've seen for the '71 - '73 cars include both a press cap, and a small twist on cap. I use this car as a driver, so I don't want something I cannot use on the street.
That's what it looked like. I guess if you're comfortable with the "hazard" of it coming open in a rearender, you don't need the twist cap. I ass/u/me the twist cap fits under the pop-open, but I'm not 100% sure...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts