Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the weatherstripping that runs down the side of the window and in front of the door. I haven't had the car in so long that I forgotten what it is supposed to look like and what goes with it. The window part is pretty straightforward, but the part that runs down in front of the door is not so clear. Does someone have a handy pic of this area so I can get this installed properly?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Generally the snake like piece has a "V" shape to its contact point. Clean any talc from the piece with detergent and water (car wash). Thoroughly dry. Hang from rafter or other high spot (that you can reach) and then apply weatherstrip adhesive to both sides of the "V". This should be as thin a layer as you can apply. This can be to simply hold the end of the weatherstrip adhesive tube squarely against the weatherstrip and squeeze lightly as you move the tube along the weatherstrip. This should leave a very thin layer as long as you hold the tube firmly against the weatherstrip. Clean off any excess since you don't want to create any bumps or lumps, rather all you want to do is to "prime" the side of the weatherstrip to be stuck to the metal door. Allow the treated weatherstrip/adhesive to dry thoroughly.

Use masking tape to border the area where the weatherstrip is to be applied. Two strips of tape should be used, one on each side of the planned weatherstrip position. Be sure to mask curved areas smoothly. Once fully masked, repeat procedure used on weatherstrip, and "prime" the door area similarly (very thin layer of adhesive between the two strips of masking tape). Allow to dry.

Okay, now you're ready to bond the weatherstrip to the door. Identify and validate the side you're working with for you don't want to start at the wrong end. Once bonded, its impossible to remove the weatherstrip without screwing it up, so make sure you know which end is which.

If there is an end with a nylon fastener, you start from that end first, otherwise it does not matter. Apply a second layer of weatherstrip adhesive to the weatherstrip for about the first six inches. This layer goes right over the first but is about twice as thick. Center any nylon fastener hole(s) and press the weatherstrip in place as soon as the weatherstrip adhesive starts to tack. Push the nylon rivet in place if there is one. Okay, the application is now started. Add weatherstrip adhesive repeatedly in six inch blocks along the "V" and push the "V" into the "V" in the door. If there are scallops on the bottom of the door, push the formed edge of the weatherstrip into the scallops. Note adhesive should be sufficient to spread across the "V" as you push it on but not so much that it globs on the masking tape. When pushing the weatherstrip on, neither compress it or stretch it, rather push it straight on. If you've done this, then the far end of the weatherstrip will align and neither be too long or too short. Wait for the weatherstrip to dry partially then peel off the masking tape before it fully sets up. Wait 1/2 hour then close the door on the new weatherstrip and leave the door closed for 24 hours! No peeking to see if its okay! Notes: you can use extra masking tape to hold the weatherstrip in position as it turns corners - if necessary. It won't be necessary if you've allowed the weatherstrip adhesive to tack up correctly (you're getting in too much of a hurry).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a million. I will let you know how I do!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are exactly what I needed. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts