Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the exception of a Holley 650, my 71 351 M code Mach is all original under the hood, and I'm wanting to re install the original carb. Did 71's use a carb spacer? If so, can someone post the part #, so I can get the correct piece? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
No spacer under the Autolite 4300 on the 71 M-code 351C-4V, just a 1/16" thick gasket.

FWIW, leave the Holley 650 on the car, from personal experience. The 4300 is a hit or miss carb, they either run really well, or are a complete POS. Problem is, most are in the POS category. If you want the Holley to look "more original", you could outfit it like a 429SCJ, with the dual inlet front bowl, screw in factory filter and steel transfer line.

Information 3

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice, maybe just keep the OEM carb with the car and drop down to a new holley 600?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 40 plus years old, runs rich, no doubt needs a kit. I was thinking of dropping down to a 600 cfm, elec choke

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
It's 40 plus years old, runs rich, no doubt needs a kit. I was thinking of dropping down to a 600 cfm, elec choke
I'm running a Summit 600 CFM carb on my 351C with Aussie 2V heads. It works very well. A 650 would also be appropriate, but I don't think that's available in the Summit carb.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Holley carbs really don't "wear out" due to age. The only wear part is the baseplate, so if the linkage is tight and the throttle shafts don't have play, it's a good candidate for a rebuild.

That said, Klutch's recommendation of the Summit 600 carb is spot on since you've taken the headers off, etc. I have the original Holley version of that carb on a 302 and it's pretty darn flawless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I'll order a 600 in the Spring, right now I'm busy installing springs, control arms etc.. on the mustang and am doing a Weber conversion on a Jeep CJ Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts