Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you saw the story. I hadn't until just now. Here's how it starts. Click if you want to read the whole thing on Motorious:

Cars sitting atop an open car trailer while rolling down the interstate is a common sight. Most often this involves brand new cars being delivered to a dealership, but many private buyers hire auto transport services to deliver a vehicle they had just purchased since many classic cars that are sold are purchased from out of state. That was the case here with a beautiful restored Mach 1 429 Ford Mustang. Except, this ended up being a shipping disaster that ultimately ended in tragedy for this classic Ford pony.

Bring a tissue. The story has very sad photos. Beyond "it'll buff out" category. Still has Mecum plates.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If that is a numbers matching 429 Mach 1 that was a pristine restoration, it may not be a total. If that was my car and was fully insured I would not let it go easily.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I’ve got one almost as bad. A customer of mine was having a Boss429 delivered , car was already sold. The trailer caught fire and damaged the paint on the fenders and hood. Yes it was insured.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
so how did the wreck happen ? I only saw a portion of the article on motorious

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
It could be restored, of course. Probably cost more than it's worth, but I'd be tempted just to punish those responsible.

Although this car was not flipped and wrecked, between the dents and rust it was arguably worse. The only original outer panel saved on the whole car is the roof. Even the large floor panel was replaced.

·
Registered
836 Posts
That sucks hugely! But it does look as though someone went with the low cost provider. Many times it ends up far more expensive to go cheap....

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
This can happen to anyone, but when you hire a Hotshot transporter to carry your load, you have just increased you chances of something disastrous happening.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
I've always felt that this kind of rig is as dangerous as it looks.
High trailers are pretty safe. Low boy trailers are the safest from tipping over. I'm still trying to find out WHY it wrecked.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Let me guess. The driver was a few miles from his destination on a rural road in Georgia when reached for his cell phone to call the customer or check his GPS.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
It would make a GREAT parts car, or grab the plentiful 71 Fastback bodies (that no one seems to restore) and make 1 + 1 = 1

A good shop could have it in and out in less than a month.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts