Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i was on E Bay looking at some mustangs... and this one 71 mach 1 came across to me as odd... unrestored with that paint job? is it some kind of special mach 1? take a look 2427321815

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe i would of figured it out :) i was working on it thank you

·
Registered
322 Posts
Humm! I'm not old enough to have been around when these came out. I was only 5 at the time. But it looks like a '71 Mustang painted up to look like a Mach 1. My Mach doesn't have the chrome Mustang emblem on the side of the car like the car in the picture. My standard '73 Mustang parts car does. Also the side stripe looks like it is painted. The Mach stripes are made from a vinyl tape stripe kit that can still be purchased. The hood stripe is not painted like my Mach either. I have some documentation that shows '71 Mach had one wide stripe across the hood not two. Hope this helps. Hope I don't get to much flak for not being a little more precise. ::

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the stripes looked funny to me andthe chrome eblem on the back.... and the color... oh and the hood...i thought all machs had the ram air hood... i amstill learnin i dont know :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey boss hoss... u wouldnt have happened to own a 73 buick gs would u?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It is a mach but the paint is not original. Those are like the Starsky and Hutch type stripes popular in the 70's. For the 302 motor i believe the ram air hood would have been a option...

·
Registered
643 Posts
My biggest question would be who would order a Mach 1 like that. I mean no nasa hood, no correct striping, and no 351. Why not save some money and just order a sportsroof?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shouldnt pick apart someones car like that because my Mach 1 doesnt look like a Mach 1... but then again i am not claimin its all original.... mine did have a new paint jo by the othr owner and a new grill.... i just didnt think an "original" mustang mach 1 had that paint job like that red one.... the sad thing is..people are actually bidding on it.. i wouldnt want to be ripped off if its not original..i am sure theyare asking a good price for it

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm such an idiot. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't respond to any of the posts. I wasn't logged in. No I don't have a '73 buick GS. If you ever want to get your hood repainted back to the original graphics the June 2000 issue of Mustang Monthly has a great article on how to do it. My copy is a fax. It's hard to read. You could probably get it from the library. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the whole paint job on my car is wrong if u didnt notice :)... i like the ual stripes better tho.. but i do need the mach 1 stripe kit for the sides and back trunk lid... then i am getting new interior... new grill and louvers on the back:)... its not going to be restored to a original mach 1... its gong to be a daily driver that turns heads and still comes across as a mach 1... i just need to do the brake lines now and the rewiring... and front brakes.. i just did the rear brakes and they work now :) (the guy before me had them the shoes and adujusters put on backwards lol)

·
Registered
322 Posts
hehe! Whoops! Go girl, I like my Mach like that too. Personalized. Ever see the adds? They say "Mach 1 its a personal thing" Anyway good luck. Have fun and be safe with the brakes. I spent three days in a hospital once because of bad brakes. Nothing to fool around with.

-Hoss

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The car on eHay is a real Mach, just a very low option car. The stripes were added by a dealer (it states in the ad) and the chrome emblem on the trunklid is a dealer emblem. Some people just didn't feel the need for all the flash of tape stripes, spoilers, Magnum 500's and the scooped hood. Oh, and in 71, these options cost real money, and $3K was alot of money back then, figure it out adjusted for inflation to todays prices. Personally, a 71-3 has to have a NASA hood to look right, but the rest of the doo-dad's are passe to me now. I've had the stripes and spoiler and...whatever...it doesn't make it any faster.....

Low key is it for me now. My latest is almost an exact duplicate of that car, except in Med Bright Blue. Mach1, 302 (for now),PS, PDB, 4 spd, 3.40 t-loc, Nasa hood and that's it.

No stripes
No spoilers
No chrome tips
No fancy interior
No foldown
No AC
No Auto anymore...

A pic of mine the week after I bought it...

http://pages.cthome.net/hemikiller/MVC_655f.jpg

And a pic of it yesterday, only weeks away from the paint booth...

http://pages.cthome.net/hemikiller/MVC-218F.jpg

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It's true. It is a real Mach. Made in Dearborn, 302-2v, Mach 1, Vermillion Al Vinyl Standard Interior, DSO is cincinnati, 3.00:1 Conventional rear, and a C4. [email protected] do I like that mustang decoder site! But, then again, maybe the door tag's just from someother car. My driver's side door, now, is actually from a green 71 coupe that I found in the junk yard. :eek:

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'd have to agree with the low-optioned opinions.

That might be the car with less options than mine came with.

Sluggo

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Heather,

Nice to see another woman driving a 71. I get playful crap once in awhile for my 71 from the guys.

Everyone has given you pretty good info.

LOL, I posted, then realized you were talking about the auction not your car. All this time I thought you were talking about the stripes on your car. Yes, that ehay car is very low optioned and very original. Its even a 302 car(as evidenced by the standard hood), which you don't see alot of them running around.

That is the 3rd time its been around the block. The owner has been coming down each time on it. I'd say its a good $11k - $13k car. Sadly, in our 71-73 group it takes specific folks to appreciate low optioned 302 machs with no flash. I hope it finds a good home.

Hemokiller - I love the way you think! You couldn't give me a mach 1 that has been all jazzed out with the spoilers and stripes (unless original to the car). One of my pet peeves of our body style is so many people slap the stripes and spoilers on 'em. Thats just my minor rant. :)

My car does have an automatic tranny, A/C and the tinted factory windows. No spoilers and stripes on my ride either. I'm proud to own a nice M code cruiser to scare off the ricers!

Steph

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Steph, I just got burned out on the "winged" look of ALL of the 71-3 cars. Everyone had F&R spoilers, side stripes, NASA hoods (always painted wrong) and Mag 500's. YUCK! C'mon people, lets not try so hard to be an idividual that you end up just like everyone else. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'm going to Tu-Tone the NASA hood..... I'm starting to dig the single color look like yours. I have nothing against options, i have a arage full of them that I didn't want to install. Next time 'round I'll load one with all my goodies, and see how much it weighs.... LOL

You are correct, that is a very low option car, mine has even less. No center console.

I keep watching that one to see what it'll sell for. They keep lowering the reserve each time, and now the Buy it Now is gone too. I think they are getting tired of the whole thing and want it gone. Nice car, need some work, but those stripes have to go..

Even funnier, I've been playing with the idea of painting my car the "Z" color. I am at a stage where I could do it easily, but i think I'll wait for the next one to do that with. Always liked that color, right up there with Pewter and Black Jade (69).

·
Registered
405 Posts
We are at the same point... I go for paint 2nd week in Sept.

Post some pics when its painted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts