Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 71 mustang years ago and it rode so nice that everyone complimented how smooth and quiet it was. It was not a Mach 1 , now I bought a Mach1 expecting the same nice ride and it literally is like driving a 1965 cement truck the back is so tight it bounces off the road on bumps, It is un altered from original has new shocks ,,and the springs in the back have 6 leaf. Anyone else have such a hard ride? Is this the way they where? Can I put different springs that will keep the ride hight but give a little? Thanks

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
The factory/original leaf springs would have been 4-leaf springs. So you've got goofy springs on the car for starters.. I would recommend Eaton Detroit Spring leaf springs, as they are made to Ford's original blueprints and specifications, and U.S.-made. We (NPD) carry all of the correct springs in-stock.

What brand shocks are on the car? Your shocks may be just fine, but if they're some manner of stiff/performance shock, you might want to switch those out while you're doing the springs.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory/original leaf springs would have been 4-leaf springs. So you've got goofy springs on the car for starters.. I would recommend Eaton Detroit Spring leaf springs, as they are made to Ford's original blueprints and specifications, and U.S.-made. We (NPD) carry all of the correct springs in-stock.

What brand shocks are on the car? Your shocks may be just fine, but if they're some manner of stiff/performance shock, you might want to switch those out while you're doing the springs.

Rick
NPD
just ordinary Monroe replacement shocks

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
6 leafs? Whoa....Get a new set of leafs.

Something else to check is that you don't have the floor mounted snubber and the snubber on the shield over the yoke. That'll make for an interesting ride.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Yeah, that's gonna ride like crap.

Car sits real high in the front as well, something to look at down the road. The axle centerlines should be about on the same plane at the upper rocker line with a stock ride height.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Them spring pictured looks like the ones I added 2 extra leaf and made for wife's 67. Maybe you have a very sensitive behine.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
I agree with Hemi... Your only real solution here is new springs front and rear. Car is riding too high, and 71-73 Mach 1's have a very pleasant ride when stock. I used a '73 Mach 1 as a daily-driver back in the late-90's, with Eaton springs on the rear (left the original coils on the front), and the car rode beautifully.

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
I have ridden in multiple 71-73 Mach 1 Mustangs. I've also driven a '73 Mach 1 to Steamboat Springs and back; almost 5 hours each way. All these cars rode quite nicely.

So, yeah. Someone put WAY too much spring on your Mach 1. Luckily, all new springs isn't that expensive and pretty easy to replace.

FWIW, my 1970 Mach 1 has 4-1/2 mideye leafs at the rear and Scott Drake Street Performance springs up front. The stance is perfect. I installed Bilstein Street Performance shocks, so the ride is a bit stiff, like a sports car, but nothing jarring. If I installed the Bilstein Street Shocks, I'm sure the ride would be quite nice.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
the good news is you have all new hardware to work with so chances of you needing to torch out the old leafs is nil

I went with the original OEM Eaton set and are very happy with them. in the front i used McQuade something or another with OEM specs.

shocks i used the KYB excell G set

All from NPD

I had the the GAJ for 25 yrs and i found them a bit harsh

Car rides very smooth with this set up

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all, gives me something to think about, what scares me is that every time I ever put new springs in anything it made things higher than they where before. The car would sure look better a bit lower. Strange thing is I think the springs in it are the original. The car was off the road sitting inside a building since 1978. not much of anything seemed to be done to it.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
look for a D1ZZ part number. should be visible with the clean condition theyre in. I found mine near the end by the shackle side

·
Registered
377 Posts
You could just remove a leaf or 2. It’s free and you don’t have to wait for parts to arrive.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts